Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok starter removel problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Default Ok starter removel problem...

Well I see that Chevy has once again gone out of its way to make removing a part from there trucks almost imposable
I own a 2001 K3500 Silverado dually 8.1 litre v8 1 ton dump, I have had some issues with this vehicle like for one both front bearing assemblies and rotors (rusted so ABS pulsate) I tried to do it myself I pulled of the wheels the extension hubs the wheel bearings got down to the rotors and they were frozen to the hub .So admitting defeat I brought it to the garage and it cost me 500 dollars plus the parts I bought which in total was about $900.00. So I bring truck into have it inspected and I need to replace the tie rod which cost me $300.00. SO now I am starting truck one day and I notice it is cranking real slow before it starts. Well one day it won’t start it just clicks (the solenoid clicks then a loud click like the gear arm in starter is not fully extending or is stuck in out position) by the way brand new battery and all terminals are clean to starter. So I have come to the conclusion that the starter is bad.
So I jack the front end up put it on stands proceed to removing two retaining bolts from starter the starter drops down (this is good) then I try to remove feed wired to the solenoid I try moving starter down and around and forward back but I cant get a clear view or place to put socket on the terminal. SO for the last five hours I have been trying to figure a best way to get to the terminal to remove the wires so the starter will drop down NO SUCH LUCK...SO now I sit here in total frustration asking you all...

How the hell do you get the starter out of my truck without removing half the front end?

I am telling you folks if toyota oftered a 1 ton dually dump vehicle that towed 10,000 pound's I would buy it at least they dont make there product with crappys stuff. Oh yea my truck has 40,000 miles owned by one person besides me.