Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Old or New?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Default Old or New?

Okay, heres the deal, I have 5k and need to keep approx 500.00 for gas/insurance so i basically have 4.5k and I can't decide if I should get an older like f150 or chevy 1500 (Like 89-93, somewhere in there) with lower miles (anywhere from 80k-130k) for cheaper so then I will have the money to get a lift/tires ect ect or if I should get a nicer, newer truck and just save up my money for the lift/tires ect.

So what are your guys's opinions on that? What are the benefits/negatives in your guys's opinions?
Thanks,
Tyler.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM

chevy poops on ford

Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Lol I agree 100%! I have been raised off of chevys, but I just like the body style of the older F150's better. It's sad, I know.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:45 PM

if a ford is taken really good care of then a ford does pretty good. my dad has a 1997 f150 with 189,XXX miles and runs just fine. but chevy i think is the way to go.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM

I agree with you 100%!!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM

I would go with newer (for Chevy 1999 and up). I really don't know for Ford. You should be able to get something for close to your budget.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Also she said that she believes in the truck that I am looking at the gearing is 3:55. What would be the largest tires that I should be putting on there with that gearing? (I don't really have enough money to be changing the gearing, as much as I would like to)

Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Okay, I bought that Ford F150 for $2800.00 yesterday. I have not really had time to look at it, but I believe it is 3:55 as far as gearing and it is a 5.8 liter V8. It has slight rust right by the running boards and a little bit on the wheel wells. What is the best and cheapest way to fix that? What all are my options as far as fixing that? (Perfferably myself) What are the largest and widest tires in metric that I should be running with that gearing? (Don't have the money to be changing it, and a lift, and tires/wheels) It has stock everything that I see.
It has a new muffler, but it is clamped on instead of welded so it leaks through the exhaust so it sounds wierd when you rev it up, I think if I tighten it then it won't do that, is that correct or not?
As far as the body lift my friend was telling me that there is two parts, one for the body and one for the bed. Is that right? What brand should I be looking at? I want to put it on myself and I have a shop and boards I could use. I was going to just make a little pully system and hook the ropes to the top of the boards in the shop and hook them to the boards to lift the body, or something along those lines. Any suggestions for that?
Any help is appriceated!

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM

I also have a couple more questions. What would be some of the easiest mods for me to make it A) Sound better and to B) to give it more hp?
(How much of a power decrease will I notcie do you think with putting on 33's? Where do I get the speedometer re-calobrated? I wanted to add some simple stuff to gain power and of course also make it sound better for the loss of power that I will be getting with bigger tires.)
any help is appriceated.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Might be better off starting a new post in the ford section, this thread is old and a lot of ppl aren't goign to read all of it

Quick Reply: Old or New?