Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

One more question.. tail gate cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Default One more question.. tail gate cables

I bought some tail gate cables at Auto Zone today and had the shop that fixed my truck install them. They didn't charge me for it, but when I got home, one cable is loose when the gate is opened and the other one is tight. Is this a problem from the installation or the cables themselves? Thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Make sure they are both seated the same where they connect to the bed of the truck. There should be a large hole to slide over the mount and then a smaller hole for it to lock into place. If you want post a picture and we can get a better idea.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM

They look like they are seated the same; one just has a little bit of play in it. But I can take some pictures today. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It could just be that they are aftermarket and the exact spec quality of OEM isn't there. You might want to return it and try another one. If you put alot of weight on your tailgate one cable doing all the work isn't good.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

Or if you weighted down your tail gate with only one good strap, or both straps were busted, your tail gate might be slightly bent out of shape. That would cause the same thing.

Personally, I'd jump up there and set on the tail gate, and then reach over and feel both cables. If only one is still tight, and the other is still loose, then like Shamrock said, return the sloppy one and get a different cable.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM

I was wondering if I bent the tail gate. I threw a bale of hay on the gate, and both cables snapped at the same time (they were rusty.) It wasn't closing correctly after this happened, but now that the new cables are on there, it closes and opens fine. Even if I put my full weight on the gate on the side with the loose cable, it stays loose. I believe they are installed correctly. Do you think I should take them back to Auto Zone? Could they take the cable off for me? Or is it an easy thing to do?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm guessing that the autozone people can take them off for you. It is rather easy to do, though.

You might just have buy another cable, and have the repair shop install the new one for you. Keep the other cable though, and take it back to autozone after you have the new cable installed.

If the cable is incorrect, didn't your repair shop warn you of this?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM

No, the repair shop didn't say anything to me. I got home and opened the tailgate and noticed it. I'm not going to complain to them though, because they put them on and didn't charge me anything.

I just hope they are a little more observant when doing the mechanical stuff!