Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Opinions needed about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Beginner
Default Opinions needed about shocks

OK. I am preparing to put 2" drop shackles on my 98 1500. I have been told different things from different people. Wanted to get everyone here's opinion. Do I need to get specialty drop shocks for the rear now, or can I run the same standard ones? A couple of guys said that with a minimal drop, lowered shocks arent neccessary and the suspension will be fine. I have had other guys tell me that I have to get drop shocks or else the suspension will stay at the same height because of factory spec shocks. What do I do? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Ok the guys that told you that stock shocks will make the truck stay at factory height need to find a different subject to give their opinion on. Standard shocks like what is run on your 98 have no bearing on ride height. Some of the newer vehicles with self leveling (Nivomat) shocks can alter ride height, but that is not what we are dealing with here. As far as needing shocks the answer is no. You can run stock shocks with a 2" lowering kit in the rear. If your stock shocks are in good shape than you won't even notice a ride difference at all. This isn't something I have heard or read either. I have personally had at least 1/2 a dozen trucks with just 2" shackles and installed them for more people than I can remember. As a matter of fact I just took the 4" kit off of my truck to do a 6" flip kit and am going to install the 2" shackles on my dad's truck. Here is my current toy with a 4"-6" kit - I needed lowered shocks in this case...

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the input. My current shocks are only about a year old. I'll have to get a picture up on the forum once I get them on there. It will be one of the several projects I plan on doing over the upcoming 4 day weekend. Do I really need to worry about putting the shims in between the axle and the springs? I've always been under the impression that those were only for larger amounts of drop?

Last edited by azjetfighter; 11-19-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the shims either. Hang them shackles and ride!