Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Default RE: Performance

Okay, I'm new to the Chevy's, how do I tell what tranny I have? Is this just a newer model issue? I just bought a 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3. It has 89K miles on it. I'm not worried about making it a race truck but do I have potential or likely tranny problems in my immediate future?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: dharsen

I didn't experience that much firmer of a shift, it just didn't let my trans. hold more pressure before it shifts. I have a super chips programmer, and have had no problems. It shifts really nice, It will scratch shifting from first to second and I have 35" tall tires. It also helped at the bottom of 1st when I floor it my tires will do a small burn out, before this they barely made a noise flooring it from a dead stop. The servo is one of the mods I made that made the most noticeable difference. I was reading another thread about taking the foam sponge crap off from under the intake manifold. Anyone do anything special? I tried pulling on the front one and it started to fall apart, and the rest doesn't want to move. I don't want to destroy it, any suggestions?
?? If you upgraded servo's, it shifts firmer - it has to. The SOTP may not be hugely different, but you did expeience it, whether you think you felt it or not. If it's scratching from first to second and wasn't before, that means it's shifting firmer.

You don't want to remove that front foam piece. That's supposed (key word) to keep water from the valley and your knock sensors. It doesn't take the sensors long to corrode once water gets in there.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: withac

Okay, I'm new to the Chevy's, how do I tell what tranny I have? Is this just a newer model issue? I just bought a 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3. It has 89K miles on it. I'm not worried about making it a race truck but do I have potential or likely tranny problems in my immediate future?
Look in your glove box at the codes. There's probably a "M30" in there. That means you have the 4L60e transmission. MN8 or MT1 would be the 4L80e. MD6 is the 4L65e. You likely have the 60e.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 AM
TruckForum Addict

Actually several people have said to leave it be. You won't notice any gains and one guy on here said there is some kinda sensor or something or nother under the foam that it protects so the foam is there for a reason. Course the MAF screen was there for a reason and I removed mine so I'll be no judge of you remove your foam, LOL!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: DamnYankee

ORIGINAL: withac

Look in your glove box at the codes. There's probably a "M30" in there. That means you have the 4L60e transmission. MN8 or MT1 would be the 4L80e. MD6 is the 4L65e. You likely have the 60e.
Yup, it's the 60e. I'm pushing 89K miles so I wonder if I've got tranny issues in my future. Is there any way to tell short of having a mechanic drop the pan and look around? I just bought it last month so I have no idea if or when the tranny had been serviced. The fluid is nice and red so it hasn't been toasted, or if it has the fluid was changed. I'm thinkin' I oughta have the tranny serviced just to be on the safe side. Any other thoughts?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 AM

removing the foam should help keep the intake a little cooler, like the old high rise intakes. Not abig difference, but for free you can't complain. I have had mine out for a year with no issues to date.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM
TruckForum Addict

I can understand the motive there. I've just gotta call a "if it ain't broke don't fix it flag."

Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Sounds like another mod to add to my list...

I am actually making a list of all the possible power mods I coulddo once I have the money to spend.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 PM
TruckForum Addict

Better get ready to calculate a lotta $$$$figures$$$$....

Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Okay, so my 2000 Tahoe has the 5.3, the 4L60e tranny, and 89K miles on it. I will likely have it serviced this spring. At this point in its life is there any point in putting in a shift kit? If a new servo makes it shift firmer what added benefit does the shift kit have? OPT looks like it has four for my vehicle. This one is 90 bucks and from the description sounds like overkill for my needs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSGO-4L60E-HD2-SHIFT-KIT-93-UP-TRANSMISSION-LS1-LT1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQihZ008QQitem Z180209300492QQtcZphoto.

This one is forty bucks and I would assume more along the lines of what I would need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSGO-4L60E-4L60-E-SHIFT-KIT-ESCALADE-DENALI-YUKON-H2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34208QQihZ008QQitemZ 4594783360QQtcZphoto
They also have two by SUPERIOR priced in the mid fifties. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Performance