Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

power chips for 8.1 liter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Default power chips for 8.1 liter

Hi all, i have searched this site with the search feature and havent had any luck. so if this question is answered before im sorry. so here goes i just bought an 01 silverado hd with the 8.1 liter and allison tranny. it has an older superchips program installed already but i want more power than it gives it adds about 30 hp and 50 torque approx i think. i don't really need more power i just want more. does anyone know of a chipping program that gives more hp and torque than what i have already?

thank you

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Get a custom tune like blackbearperformance.com offers. Night and day difference between a custom tune to those "power chips".

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Get a custom tune like blackbearperformance.com offers. Night and day difference between a custom tune to those "power chips".
thanks for the info. have you used one of these before?? also what about having an actual dyno tune done will that be worth the money to a stock engine??

Last edited by pbillyi69; 06-16-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

I have used black bear twice and have been very happy with the results. I have also used hypertech and JET in earlier model trucks and honestly couldn't tell a difference from stock. Black bear has a few options - they can do a data logging tune which is basically them mailing you some type of data analyzer that you drive around with and then they can tune it according to that data. I have always just let them know what I was looking for and they tuned it according to that. Go to their website and look under the FAQ's and that will explain a lot. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
TruckForum Addict

How do you know it has a Super Chips program in it already? Did the p[revious owner give you the handheld programmer? And if so it is internet updatable? If it is like my Superchips flashpac, then you can deprogram the truck and update it from the Superchips website to gain the up to date features. However if it is the older handheld then you can deprogram it and send it in for an update. And if you do not have the handheld the ECU could be locked and having a tune done could prove dificult. Just some information to share.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I have used black bear twice and have been very happy with the results. I have also used hypertech and JET in earlier model trucks and honestly couldn't tell a difference from stock. Black bear has a few options - they can do a data logging tune which is basically them mailing you some type of data analyzer that you drive around with and then they can tune it according to that data. I have always just let them know what I was looking for and they tuned it according to that. Go to their website and look under the FAQ's and that will explain a lot. Good luck!
thank you i did look at their site and just wondered how well it worked because its not cheap

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
How do you know it has a Super Chips program in it already? Did the p[revious owner give you the handheld programmer? And if so it is internet updatable? If it is like my Superchips flashpac, then you can deprogram the truck and update it from the Superchips website to gain the up to date features. However if it is the older handheld then you can deprogram it and send it in for an update. And if you do not have the handheld the ECU could be locked and having a tune done could prove dificult. Just some information to share.
i did get the handheld programmer and it is not internet upgradeable. i have programmed it back to stock and tried it. it does seem to make a little difference but that might be me wanting it to if it is making any improvement it isn't much. thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by pbillyi69
thank you i did look at their site and just wondered how well it worked because its not cheap
I paid $200 which is relatively cheap compared to what the handhelds run and what the end result is. Don't get me wrong it not a huge difference, but very noticeable. I can't think of any other $200 mod that makes that much of a difference.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by pbillyi69
i did get the handheld programmer and it is not internet upgradeable. i have programmed it back to stock and tried it. it does seem to make a little difference but that might be me wanting it to if it is making any improvement it isn't much. thanks
My question for you is this: Is your truck completely stock? My truck has a fewmods and my Superchips makes a big difference.Maybe that is why you only feel a little bit of difference. We used my handheld programmer to program his Chevy Avalanche 2002 with a 8.1 and he said it made little difference too. However after he added just a CAI and mufflers back exhaust he said it made a very noticeable difference.
Just a thought...

Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
My question for you is this: Is your truck completely stock? My truck has a fewmods and my Superchips makes a big difference.Maybe that is why you only feel a little bit of difference. We used my handheld programmer to program his Chevy Avalanche 2002 with a 8.1 and he said it made little difference too. However after he added just a CAI and mufflers back exhaust he said it made a very noticeable difference.
Just a thought...
my truck has a K & N CAI and a trottle body spacer and superchips program i don't have exhaust yet. for other years with the same engine the superchips makes more power however for my truck it only makes about 30 more hp so if you add the 17 from the spacer and 22 from CAI and 30 from the chip that makes 69 more hp bringing it up to 409 hp and im thinkin with that much hp it should have a noticable snap to it when it romp on it. don't get me wrong i have way more power than i need i just think it should feel snappier than it does. i have 4.10 rearend and a allison tranny just sayin

Quick Reply: power chips for 8.1 liter