Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Power Seat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Default Power Seat Issue

I recently slid the seat back in my 2005 Sierra (Silverado) and now it only wants to return approximately 25% of the way, leaving me feeling like I'm driving from the back seat. Nothing is jammed in the track and all of the other power seat features work fine. Is there some sort of "reset" button that can be pushed? Change a fuse? I'm not a "car guy" buy any stretch so pardon my ignorant questions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

It could not be fuse since it is moving forward I think. Something has got to be jammed that is not being seen. You might have to pull the seat out and flip it upside down and... you get my drift.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like it the track is set in the in the wrong place

Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Chris is probably right - the limits on the seat track think that the seat is as far forward as it's supposed to go. Have you tried going all the way back again then coming forward?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I first went to move the seat back, it didn't move. I then proceeded to move the seat FORWARD and the seat moved the rest of the way BACKWARD. This was an odd moment. So, yes, dmccartyfan, I have moved the seat all the way back and then tried to move it forward and it now only moves in a very tight range on the back of the track - maybe 3" of the ~12" of travel. And yes again, dmccartyfan, the seat seems to think it is sitting somewhere else on the track. I looked again yesterday under the seat with a flashlight to see if there was something jammed in the track but found nothing. I'm thoroughly confused.

Do these seat (motors) have a sensitivity setting that prevent fingers and the such from getting crushed?

I'm new to this board and am impressed with the speedy replies. Thanks much.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM

Here is my suggestion...................run the seat back as far as you can.....remove the seat.........reset the track to its farthest back position and reinstall the seat...also check the track gears and motor gears and run the track with the seat off if possible

Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks chrisbmo2000. Any special tools/tricks involved with removing the seat and/or resetting the track? I'm not an auto mechanic by any stretch, but am somewhat mechanically inclined. I've got access to a pretty decent toolbox.

Thanks again for the help to all you guys.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 PM

i dont know of any thing speacal but i have not had a power seat off in ALONG time.....just pull the seat and operate the track and Im sure you will see what is going on....sorry I cant be of more help....but if you take pics and post them then I may be of more help