Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Power Steering Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Power Steering Pump Install

Well I finally swapped my power steering pump today. I recently flushed the old one and filled it up with Lucas and it did get quieter, but it still had a slight whine to it. Occasionally I would feel a very slight sticky spot while braking and turning at the same time (my truck has the hydroboost brakes). So I bought a remanufactured one from O'reilly's ($65.00 plus core). Installation was fairly straight forward, but removing the pulley definitely requires a special puller. I hadn't done one in years and thought a regular puller would get it....WRONG! I went digging through my closet full of specialty crap that I had from when we had a repair shop and to my surprise had the right Mac Steering Pump Pulley Kit. I don't think I have used that thing in 8 or 9 years. I actually forgot I had it. Anyway, you will definitely need one to remove the pulley and the pulley has to be removed to get to the pump mounting bolts. Once that is out of the way it is smooooth sailing. Got is all back together and AHHHHH no more whine and it might be my imagination, but my brake pedal feels higher (as far as where it engages). Does anyone know if the steering pump can affect the brake pedal height? I know the pump runs the hydroboost brakes, but pedal height???? It could be that I was driving my wifes Yukon around all day getting parts and got used to her truck with regular vacuum booster assisted brakes. They seem to be lower for some reason. Anyway, I got better brakes now and no whine...can I get an Amen!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 AM

how hard is it to swap out the pump!! i picked one up today! and i need to install it?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Like I said it isn't hard, but make sure you have the special pulley puller designed for these pumps. Without it you will have a hard time. The pulley has to come off to get to the mounting bolts. Once the pulley is out of the way it is a real basic swap. Good luck and let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM

thanks man will do!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 AM

all went well with the install! but finding power steering fuild at 9 pm was fun haha

Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Good to hear...I did the same thing luckily it was only about 6PM and my wife was already home form work so I borrowed her truck.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Beginner

had to the last mechanic twice this week.they pulled the serpentine belt and the sound was gone..they put on the first remn pump and the sound was louder than ever...he let me here for myself with his stethiscope and could here the sound in the front of the power steering pump...here is whats been replaced..the belt,ps pump(twice sor far both reman),idler pulley,belt tensioner(yesterday)..i can here the sound from the front o fpump...it is still loud,i am out tons of $$,and it still is louder than when i took it in...heres what we are doing this Tuesday>>my last gasp...i guess going to the chevy dealer wiil be my last resort..we are putting on a brand new,not reman GM pump to the tune of $250 and and a new oem pully for the pump>>>anyone got any ideas..fuel milea about 13.5

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Beginner

I hate to drum up and old thread, but im having issues with my power steering on my 2007 gmc sierra 5.3, today I went out the drive way with no ps. I get home, get it to at least work, but it sounds bad. It blew all the fluid, had been using lucas stop leak, didnt work but did slow it for a bit. However, when I saw what had happend, the line on top of the gearbox was blown off. How simple is the removal and install? I can do a bit, and im familiar, but I have limited abilites with my back and need to know how much trouble im getting into. I also think that the pressure hose is leaking thats where it started i believe.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 AM
Beginner
Default ps blowing o ring

I have a 2000 silverado 5.3 2 wheel drive i changed the power steering pump and all o rings and it keeps blowing o ring on back of pump, i took all lines off and no clogged lines, could it be rack and pinion?

Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 AM
Beginner

[Did you ever find out what the cause of this? Just curious as ive ran into this same issue with newer gm truck.QUOTE=Brandon Parratt;85600]I have a 2000 silverado 5.3 2 wheel drive i changed the power steering pump and all o rings and it keeps blowing o ring on back of pump, i took all lines off and no clogged lines, could it be rack and pinion?[/QUOTE]