Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Default Power Steering Whine?

Hi all,

First time poster in this forum. Just bought a 2006 Silverado a few week ago with 26,000 miles. Wonderful truck except for one little thing. It has a whine that follows the engine rpm. Seems to be more prominent between 20 to 40 degrees outside. Varies in loudness. Cannot seem to isolate the sound even with a stethoscope but have eliminated the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley.

The dealer (CarMax) mechanic thinks it is the power steering pump; something to do with the valves inside. He says that it is not uncommon with this truck and the aftermarket pumps may are sometimes worse.

It is a common issue? Has anyone had experience with this problem or have any other ideas?

Licklog

Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

If your not leaking any fluid, try some BG Power Steering additive. That may quietin it down a little. I have heard some with some loud ps pumps but they had no problems wit them. If it does gradually get louder then most likely it is goin bad.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM

You should be able to hear the pump whining through your stethoscope. The whine may vary when the steering wheel is turned also. Could be an alternator bearing. I've used a long screwdriver with the handle pressed against my ear to probe these and have had pretty good luck finding them. A stethoscope should work even better but I haven't ever tried one. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM

I have had this issue as well. It doesn't appear to be temperature related though. It does it all the time. My truck has been parked in the garage the last couple weeks and I've noticed a small amount of fluid on the floor. It appears the leak is coming from the cap. Can too much PS fluid be bad for a pump/reservoir? My truck does have the hydro-boost brakes as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ecutts
I have had this issue as well. It doesn't appear to be temperature related though. It does it all the time. My truck has been parked in the garage the last couple weeks and I've noticed a small amount of fluid on the floor. It appears the leak is coming from the cap. Can too much PS fluid be bad for a pump/reservoir? My truck does have the hydro-boost brakes as well.
Na your ok. Too much will only cause a spill.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Default Update

Took the truck into CarMax yesterday. The service manager listened to the noise and didn't feel it was "that bad". Some have more noise, some have less. That may be true but it was too annoying for me. After a little whining on his part he opted to change the pump.

Spent the whole day there but at the pump is changed and no more whine. I really wasn't going to leave there without some satisfaction. I looked the symptom up in the service manual and it was described to a "T".

Thanks for your feedback

Licklog

Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Well that is good news for you Licklog other than shelling out the money. I guess I can put up with the annoying sound. Just turn up the XM a little more and the problem is solved. Thanks for the info Ruffneck4lyfe.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah I can hardly hear my motor accessories cuz of the exhaust and cam.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM

I had some power steering noise and I ended up flushing the fluid and it stopped the noise. That would probably be your cheapest route to start with. I flushed it around 70,000 miles and it was pretty nasty looking compared to the new fluid.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM

I had a pump I needed replaced on my 2006 at 24,000 miles. It was not under warranty anymore as it was passed the 3 yr mark. It would make a loud growl I could hear when I was going slow and turning the wheel. The dealer tried to flush it, but ultimatley they changed it out. Keep in mind it was parked for 15 months while I was deployed so I am thinking the lack of use and lube caused some internal seal/valves to go bad.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Whine?