Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Puzzled!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Default Puzzled!!!!!!

I have recently bought a 1998 chevy silverado ext cab 5.7 4x4 it has some transmission problems. In 2,3, and drive it works just fine. When you shift into reverse it engauges rolls back an inch then stops in its tracks, you can give it gas but it dont move the engine is trying to power it but will not move. Also when you manually shift into 1 it also engauges but then will not move. When the truck is in neutral or park its like it is not totally in the right gear for instance in nuetral it jerks foward when you rev the engine and when on jack stands the tires roll and tranny shifts through its gears like your in drive. When you are in park you cannot just rev the engine it is also like its not fully in park. I checked and adjusted the shift cable and the transfer case linkage and the problem still persists. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
TruckForum Addict

Rebuild the transmission. I read in another post maybe on Ls1trucks of a similar situation.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Before you pull it out, I would take the shift cable off the trans and shift the trans manually to see if it is for sure the trans that is messed up and not a bent linkage that is not holding an adjustment.

That is what I would do prior to seeing about getting the trans rebuilt. It would be simple to do this and then you would be able to see for sure that it is the trans.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM

I had a car once and the first gear i lost was reverse and the rest of the soon followed

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Check the trans fluid. See if it smells or looks burt, yah no not the nice cheery red color, or sweetish smell.. Next check the linkage.. Your converter might be taking a crap..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a convertor, also make sur the cable is secure and doesnt move when you shift throught the gears.my dad is a tranny man an he told me that their are clamps on all vehicles for those cables and i the cable comes out or one breaks there can be sloppy shifts.