Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

question about 9" pro comp lift (new member)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Default question about 9" pro comp lift (new member)

hi guys,

I am 23 and new to this forum, and have always owned muscle cars, never had a truck. I just bought my 98 GMC sierra 2 weeks ago and have a few questions. It has 152,000 km, has a 9 inch pro comp suspesnion lift. The ride is pretty bouncy and the suspension feels pretty soft. Is this normal? I am used to stiff suspension( sorry if its a stupid question) I akso just put some magnaflow mufflers in, and the muffler guy said my truck isnt running right. It seems fine to me, it hesitates very very slightly around 20km/h ( too me it seems like its just the knobby tires) after that its totally normal. The engine light is on so i will have to get that checked. your guys input would be greatly appreciated. sorry im a noob

Attached Thumbnails question about 9" pro comp lift (new member)-3k83m63pc5oe5pb5r9a16e13e45ad7d0d1cad.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah get that checked friend and list the codes on here. The suspension sounds normal.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 AM

Sweet thanks man, I will get the code checked ASAP. Are these trucks generally easy and cheap to fix?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Oh yeah. Some people usually find solutions on forums like these. So posting them right away helps others who are reading cut there troubleshooting time down.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 AM

Cool thanks a lot man, I will post as soon as I can. Also the truck kinda has a little bit of gas smell, I think it is because I took my cats out. My mustang had a similar smell. I hope that's what it is anyway.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Hmmm from that smell and the mechanic saying it isn't running right, sounds like its running rich. Could be a faulty O2 sensor, bad coolant sensor, or something else.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM

I am pretty sure its because of having no cats. My mustang had a similar smell and it ran beautifully. I was giving the muffler guy a bit of attitude because I thought I was being over charged. Then he told me it wasn't running right. He also said it smells like diesel, which it does not at all. As soon as I get the CEL code I will post it. I don't really consider a muffler guy as a mechanic either lol. Thanks again for your replies.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM

So I hooked up my truck to a obd computer today. I found out I have a cylinder 5 misfire. So tommorow I'm gonna change the plugs and wires, hopefully this solves the problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Well just to be sure, just take that plug out and then hook it back up to the wire and have it grounded. Then start the motor and see if its misfiring by not sparking. The reason is so you can rule out mechanical. But if your gonna need to change them anyways then go ahead. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Changed the plugs, I was running on 6 cylinders. Runs twice as good, no more smell either. Thanks for all your help man.

Quick Reply: question about 9" pro comp lift (new member)