Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Question about buying high mileage truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Beginner
Default Question about buying high mileage truck

I'm looking at buying a truck in a couple of weeks when I get back to the states. I'm trying to stick with Chevy or GMC since I grew up around those and know them well and like them. I am also looking at Dodge some, since I have driven those and like them as well, just not as much as GM trucks.

Anyway, I found a good looking truck, but am worried about the mileage. It's a 1999 2500HD. Looks great. I don't see any rust in the pictures, but the mileage has me a little concerned. It has just over 277k. Based on AutoCheck and Carfax, it had only one owner (looks like it was a corporate owner).

Overall, the truck looks great, but the mileage has me a little concerned. I'm not too worried about high mileage, in general (my dad has a 94 Chvy with about 270k and that engine purrs like it just came off the lot) and most of the trucks I've been looking at are in the range of 150k-200k. But, I'm wondering on other opinions. I'm a mechanic and I can work on cars, so I'm not worried about having to fix things or change them out. Just wondering if I should blow this one off. The main contender before this one was a '98 GMC 3500 dually diesel with about 180k.

If this one would be worth at least looking at, what things should I be looking for mechanically on this thing? I appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Let me start by welcoming you to Truck Forums

There are obvious reasons why you should turn and run from a high mileage truck. And there are also a few good reasons you could still consider this buy.

The vehicle is going on 15 yrs old.. and it is a company vehicle.
I have a few question.
I find it unusual that a company would hold onto a vehicle for so long (to each is own)
The good part about it is it was one owner and usually companies will keep records of service and work done.
Since this company kept the it longer then 5 yrs... why are they selling it now? Is there an issue with it that they aren't disclosing?
To buy an older higher mileage vehicle you MUST get it for a steal $$$

Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Beginner

"Company owned" could just be a small company, such as a landscaping company.

High mileage trucks don't necessarily scare me. What worries me here is that it was owned by a company, which could suggest that it was driven by multiple people. Most drivers of company vehicles will be more rough with them than if they were their own cars. I'd ask if they have maintenance records. Unless it's cheap, I'd pass it up without the records.

My '95 5.7L 1500 is pushing 300,000, had many owners, including a couple municipal departments around Ohio. It only cost me $900 so I accepted that I'd have to do a lot of work through the years and I factored that into the cost.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 PM

A lot of your decision will depend on the price. As Prometheus2508 said, with a high mileage truck at a low price, you accept that it may have a few issues. A higher mileage truck that has been well maintained is a good buy. Trouble is, how do you know it has been well maintained?

I bought my 97 recently...it is mint, only has about 130,000 miles on it. It was owned by a small company, leased for first 3 years then the lady that owned the company bought out the lease. She drove it as her personal truck for the next 10 years. Sold it to a guy that only put a few thousand miles on it over 3 years and sold it to me. I know this as we have a system here in Ontario sort of like CarFax, only its through the Ministry of Transport. I did pay a good dollar for it, but to me its worth it.

Attached Thumbnails Question about buying high mileage truck-998935_10152111090418084_821512470_n.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Beginner

I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to steer away from that high mileage one. The dually is still an option, though. I don't think 180k is too bad, especially for a diesel.

I have been looking around at other trucks because I was hoping for a 4x4. I found a couple good ones in my price range that are models from '99-'01. A couple of them, though, have 4.8 V8's. Just curious how those engines were. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, but one of the first things I'll be doing is driving from Indiana to SC and pulling my wife's car behind ('05 Corrola). Just wondering how that would be?

Right now, the front runner is a '97 K1500 with a 5.7L with about 200k miles. Doesn't look too bad. It looks like they may have done some work against rust (the bottom of the cab, towards the back has a white rectangle instead of the green the rest of the truck is).

Anyway, I appreciate the comments so far and appreciate any help with this. It's difficult when you're trying to find an older truck in a certain price range.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Beginner
Default Similar situation

Am looking at a 2004 Ford F-150, FX4 with over 226,000 miles. Looks awesome but concerned with what is underneath the hood. Dealer is offering 30 day warranty and 12 months roadside assistance. All for $6,499. Will try to get it lower but does anyone know if dealer will give me a diagnostic printout of the vehicle or check the onboard computer of the vehicle?