Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

radio help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Default radio help

i installed a new JVC radio in my 1989 chevy silverado. i removed the factory unit and the cassette/ equalizer. my problem is at times the sound goes away, just as it has been muted. here is some history about the old radio. sometimes the volume would go real low and the real high. the old unit also had motor noise. the new one dont. has anyone heard of this before and if so what can i do? thanks for any help>

Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Did you bypass the factory amp when you put the JVC in?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM

i didnt know there was a factory amp. where is it and how do i bypass it? thank you for the help.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM

It is under the dash towards the middle but more on the drivers side. You should of had to disconnect plugs from it to connect to your aftermarket stereo. It is mounted on it's side and is about 6"X10" roughly (I am going by memory and it has been awhile). The easiest way is to buy an aftermarket stereo harness which will plug right in unless you already cut into your harness which you probably did if you have sound. You will need to connect your speaker outputs on the JVC to the wires going to the speakers out of the amp. Crutchfield.com will have wiring schematics for your truck. Or you could just run new speaker wires - be aware though the rear speakers are a MOTHER to get to. If you need more help let me know.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 PM

i removed a silver box like you are discribing , it was over the gas pedal. the girl at Radio Shack to me it was the radio itself. i bought a plug for my factory wires to connect to she attached it to they pig tail that came with the radio. do you think my only choice is to run new speaker wire , being that i have done this ? i have talked to the people at JVC and they said that they are sure its not the radio, but if i sent it in they would check it. i just hate being without my radio that long.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 AM

If you bypassed the amp like it sounds like you did (by the way that box is the amp not the radio itself) then it almost has to be in the radio. What gets me is the factory one and your new JVC are doing similar things. The original radios in these trucks are known to have that issue especially with the awful engine noise. I would double check that everything is plugged in correctly and that all your connections are good and if they are I would send the radio back in for them to check. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM

thank you for your help. i have learned alot more than i ever thought i would by just trying to put in a radio. ill keep you informed with what happens . thanks again.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM

update- i went today to a place called Show Rides , they install radios, tent windows and things like that. i explained my problem and the man said it was a bad speaker. the speaker was causing a dead short. the radio is kicking out . he said if it didnt it would burn up the output module. simple fix i hope , i have a astro van that dont run. im going to swap the speakers, ill let you know if that fixes the problem. if it does ill be getting 4 new speakers soon .