Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Removal Question... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Default Rear Brake Removal Question... HELP

I did a quick search and could find anything on removing the rear brakes on a '02 Silverado 1500HD. It's at the dealer now and they sat my warranty just ran out and of course there’s a problem...

There is a rattling noise coming from the rear that the dealer says is the rear brakes baking plate rubbing against the rear rotor… maybe… they’re not too sure until they take it apart and try and straighten it and put it all back together. I really don’t want to pay for something that might not even fix the problem.

My question is how hard is it to remove the rear brake assembly?

I only have 41K on it and haven’t done the brakes yet.

If anyone has any input that would be great!

Also, so I don’t start another thread…

I also have the clucky steering, which they say there is an upgraded shaft that I need to buy which comes to a total of about $260 ish… I thought that there was a TSB out on this and I should be replaced with or without a warranty?

Again thanks guys!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Rear Brake Removal Question... HELP

there are some other threads on the steering shaft problem if you read back some, pretty much the easiet and cheapest thing to do is just seperate the shaft and give it quite a few pumps to re-disburse the grease and that will fix it for a while, as far as the rear brakes they are simple. Remove the wheel and drum and take a look at the backing plate to see if it is bent and rubbing. They have had quite a few problems with those things rusting out. It alos may be just you e-brake adjuster that is lose and need re-adjusted. Mine actually came apart and was rattling around inside the rear drum/rotor.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM

The brakes are no harder than any other...

the steering shaft has been problematic (do a search here,.there are many recent topics),but gm has no such recalls on them

Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks Guys! I actually have rear disc, which I feel is easier to work on... I'll check it out when I get it back.

ORIGINAL: Argon

The brakes are no harder than any other...

the steering shaft has been problematic (do a search here,.there are many recent topics),but gm has no such recalls on them
So then I take it they don't make an updated part?

I don't want to buy another steering rack that's the same one! I know this is one of the most notably problematic thing wrong with our trucks…

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM

We were also aware that your rear brakes are disc, but your E-brake is the drum portion and yes there is a updated shaft that fixes your problem. I am not sure what the GM part number is, but Argon could probaly tell you and it would be just the intermediate shaft, not the whole rack.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 AM

yes,an updated,greaseless shaft..I can't remember the # for crap,but it ends in 14./....but gm has no recalls on em

Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 AM

Ive heard of some just greasing it properly and it last another year or more....

Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM

The rear brakes were a little different to me than my previous experiences. The caliper guide bolt does not thread into a fixed piece of the caliper. You will need an open end wrench in addition to the socket. Just FYI if you haven't had a lot of experience with brakes.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Got the truck back today and just wanted to say thanks for everyone’s input!

I got them to replace the rack with the updated one for free thanks too you guys... and I'll take a look at the brakes tomorrow!

I have one last question though... if the rear backing plates are rusted/bent should I just sand it down and paint it/straighten them out?

Again, Thanks Guys!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM

They are pretty flexible....bend er back if its hitting

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Removal Question... HELP