Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Default rear diff

When I pulled into work 2 days ago, I spun the tires on some wet grass as I turned in to where I park. There was some clunkng in the rear end like the limited slip (or whatever this year has) was enguaging. I park on a side hill so the truck sat at an angle all day. When I backed up to leave the rear end made some clunking noises, and when I went forward, same thing. So I stopped to make sure something wasn't stuck under the truck and nothing. I drove home and it seemed fine, even @ 100 mph (A ford and toyota tried to race me, they lost). Well today on we roads, I spun the tires while turning and the same noise. Truck seemed to vibrate a little while driving for a while, then after I made another stop and backed up, it went away. Seems like something may be enguaging and not letting go till I go in reverse. This has never happened before, and I am not really worried about it, just wanted to know if anybody else has felt this.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: rear diff

Sounds like you've been raping too many Toyotas and Fords, LOL! Don't forget the phrase, "you gotta pay to play".

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM

I don't know what year the toyota was but I'm hoping it was a new one (it looked new) cause I made him look like ****. the ford guy never had a chance. This was not off the line, but from about 35mph after changing highways.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Hmm, I have a similar noise but its the first to second gear shift and my truck shutters and clunks, thats the tranny though. . Ive never heard of anything like that before. If you feel comfortable doing it, drain it, pull off the cover, and check it out, maybe you have some shavings but that wouldent be the reason for the engauging thing you spoke about. If you do change the fluid make sure you get the right stuff from the dealership, or a little while down the road it will give you problems, my boss has an 06' 2500 duramax, and he was warned about that. Good luck on that!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 PM

what kind of diff and gears and the such do you have? is it 4wd? is it a electronic controlled locker you can find some out by the RPO codes

Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Z-71 4x4, auto 4wd and selectable, rear electronic loker. Was in 2wd at the time, only enguages the locker in 4-low I believe.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Heh reminds me of the noises my LSD made before it went except mine only happened at low speeds like 5-10mph you could hear spider teeth clatter and also during low speed turns though yours probly isnt the same but like Chevycowboy mentioned pull the rear differential cover off and take a look at your Ring and Pinion just to see how things are going otherwise its something else from there lol.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Hey Smoke, Hows it goin? Merry Christmas and soon to be Happy New year. Just wondering if you might have heard a drive shaft universal joint ? I know you must know how to check them so i won't explain. I hear about all these people doing mods to their trucks and mine has the 4.8L. Was just wondering of some inexpensive mods. I have a K&N FIPK, catback system 1 in 2 out w/ flowmaster 50 series. I know about the descreening the MAF, but undecided if i want to chance doing damage as i am not mechanically inclined. Not into tuners. I guess i'll just leave it the way it is, shes running good, has 70,000 miles on it (2003 4X4 4.8L A/T) I just had tranny flush about 2 mos ago, i haven't figured out how to post a pic on here yet, in my avatar that is. TTYL, Jim

Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM

chevyrules - Merry Christmas to you as well. You can descreen the MAF easily, don't worry too much, just be careful with the actual sensors. It really comes out easily. You will get faster throttle response.Getting a tune or programmer will really wake up your truck. The biggest thing that keepsthese trucks from going fast is the Tq management. You still need some for reliability but you can take out 65% comfortably. It will really wake up your truck. The best programmers seem to be the predators from what I hear (most options to change). To add a pic, you have to go to my avatar, select add pic, and add a pics that is less than 25k. You can resize pics with varios programs you should already have on your computer.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

I've found the easiest and quickest way to do it is to upload your pics onto www.photobucket.com and then make them whatever size you prefer, then just copy and paste the IMG link below them onto here in your thread. Works great and doesn't take more than 15 minutes to makea membership there and upload 4-5 pics and link them on here.

Quick Reply: rear diff