Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Rebuilding the 84 again (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/rebuilding-84-again-18160/)

PaRedneckRiders 01-09-2012 05:25 PM

Rebuilding the 84 again

2 Attachment(s)
So some of you have seen my 84 k10 but anyway im going to start rebuilding it again but this time im going to take my time and do it the way i wanted too to begin with.
I went and looked at a frame today and it is in a heck of alot better condition than mine is so im going this weekend to pick it up. It has a cab and half ton axles on it also but ill try and sell the axles and prob sell the cab even though it is a little better than my cab.
Anyway the reason behind all this is we were out messing around in my truck and we ended up getting stuck in a mud whole well i dont know why but that made me decide to tear my truck apart and rebuild it.
Here is what it looked like when i thought i might be done.
Attachment 2046
Here it is as i started tearing it apart again.
Attachment 2047
I still havent fully decided what i want to do yet it just depends on what kind of deals i come across but im thinking:
3/4 or 1ton axles
8in lift
and make it more of a mud/woods friendly truck i know the 8in lift prob seems like a little much but most of the places we go arent to bad just a lot of mud.

nj85z28 01-09-2012 11:15 PM

Looks like you have quite a project ahead!! Keep us updated on your progress!

PaRedneckRiders 01-10-2012 05:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got a little more torn off my truck but im waiting to get some more parts before i go doing any more.
Anyway here is the truck im going to pick up this weekend for $250 the frame is pretty nice just has surface rust and the cab is actually not that bad just one little hole on driver side floor. It has half ton axles which ill try and sell if not they will go to scrap.
I also found a 14bolt full floater and i think i got a heck of a deal on it guy wants 40$ so im going to pick that up also as soon as i can.
Sorry about the crappy pictures i didnt take them they were sent to me.
Attachment 2041
Attachment 2042
Attachment 2043
Attachment 2044
Attachment 2045

PaRedneckRiders 01-13-2012 05:37 AM

Last night just wasnt my night. I did end up getting the truck but it barley fit between the wheel wells.
We blew a tire on the way home, We were able to limp it home and change the tire. So now i owe the person i borrowed the trailer off of a tire and two trailer lights becasue it blew both lights off the left fender.
Ill post some pics of the truck later.

PaRedneckRiders 01-13-2012 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok so right now the plan is to just keep the frame and front bumper and glass out of the cab off of this truck the rest of it will be going to scrap.
I was really not planning on snow yet so thats going to make the next couple weeks interesting if it sticks, we got a lot more as of now because i took these pictures this morning.
The plan is to still pic up the rear axle this weekend and i need to find a front axle and decided what kind of leaf spings i am going to use.
Attachment 2038
Attachment 2039
Attachment 2040

NullHead 01-13-2012 03:05 PM

Cool looks like that new frame truck has some nice wheels and tires on it too.

I think I've seen your other build thread. Personally, I thought you did a good job on the truck you have now, with the frame repair and all, but looks like this new frame will be a little bit newer/better shape.

Good luck! That snow covered beast looks like it'll be fun working on ... You should really get a heated garage to keep your toys in. :P

PaRedneckRiders 01-13-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74071)
Cool looks like that new frame truck has some nice wheels and tires on it too.

I think I've seen your other build thread. Personally, I thought you did a good job on the truck you have now, with the frame repair and all, but looks like this new frame will be a little bit newer/better shape.

Good luck! That snow covered beast looks like it'll be fun working on ... You should really get a heated garage to keep your toys in. :P

No those are the wheels and tires off my black truck. I do have a garage that has a heater but there is just not enough room in there to do anything really, ill be moving the truck up by the house and it is only supposed to snow today and tomorrow im hoping after that it melts off some so itll make it a little easier to work.

PaRedneckRiders 01-16-2012 04:04 PM

Picked my axle up yesterday and also talked to a buddy of mine and found out he has some dana 60s and some 40in tires he would make me a deal on. Wish i had the money for them right now but he always has a lot of parts so i dont think that would be a problem.
The next things i need to get are the DIY4X b52 kit and shakle flip along with finding springs.
b52 kit
B-52 Beyond 52's 81-87(91) full size chevy
Shackle flip
Shackle Flip 'N' Switch

PaRedneckRiders 01-18-2012 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did a little more today. Pulled the dash pad and gauges out of the 86(new truck) also removed the bumper and old exhaust. I decided im going to keep the cab off of this truck to reuse because its really not in that bad of shape but does need rockers and cab corners and i already have rockers just need to get cab corners.
Attachment 2035
Attachment 2036

PaRedneckRiders 01-20-2012 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We pulled my 208 t-case out of the black truck today for the guy who gave me the 205. But i never even thought of the tail shafts in the trans being different because mine is newer well ya its different. But he said he will trade me trans also so i just gotta pull mine out. I planned on pulling my motor and trans this weekend, i gotta get an engine lift off a buddy of mine. But then im going to get some stuff ready to go into scrap.
I didnt post pics of the 205 yet so here they are. I plan on cleaning it up and painting it some time soon im also kicking around the idea of converting it to twin stick.
Attachment 2033
Attachment 2034

NullHead 01-20-2012 10:44 PM

Give 'er a good power wash and degreaser bath and paint it!

PaRedneckRiders 01-21-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74203)
Give 'er a good power wash and degreaser bath and paint it!

Thats what i plan on doing but i will more than likely pull it apart and make sure everything is good before it goes in the truck.

PaRedneckRiders 01-21-2012 05:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled the grill, lights, inner fenders, battery, rad. overflow, and battery tray today. I didn't work real long didn't want to do any more because i didn't have the engine lift and didn't want it to get rained or snowed on to make it a big PITA to work on tomorrow.
I just went and picked up the engine lift so tomorrow i plan on pulling the motor and trans.
Attachment 2030
Attachment 2031
Attachment 2032

PaRedneckRiders 01-22-2012 02:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today i pulled the fenders, core support, and rad.
The unplugged all the wires and unbolted the motor and pulled it.
Took the trans off and took it to my buddy so i could get the one i needed for the np205 but i kept my clutch since its only a few months old.
Attachment 2026
Attachment 2027
Attachment 2028
Attachment 2029

NullHead 01-22-2012 02:44 PM

Cool stuff! How much power do you think that engine puts out? Is it built up at all?

PaRedneckRiders 01-22-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74234)
Cool stuff! How much power do you think that engine puts out? Is it built up at all?

I honestly couldnt tell you. I dont know all the specs but i do know it has:
Edelbrock performer intake
crane energizer cam
holley 650 carb.
I dont know if there is anything else or not i know it runs surprisingly well for just being a mild 350, but i havent decided weather to do some more work to this or try and find something different. I would really love to pick up a big block cheap and build it instead, but i might just built this one up i might even just run it as is for a while.

NullHead 01-22-2012 06:37 PM

Or turn it into a 383 stroker!

PaRedneckRiders 01-22-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74237)
Or turn it into a 383 stroker!

Na if i was going to do that i would just build a big block and run this as is till the BB is done. Im sure sooner or later this thing is going to end up getting a big block but i think if i get it all back together and run it with this motor for a while i can start building a BB to put in it.

PaRedneckRiders 01-28-2012 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't been able to get much done lately its been snowing and raining and cant make up its mind on what it wants to do. Only thing i got done today was pulling the glass out of the new truck then it started raining, i figure since the glass is good i might as well keep it.
Attachment 2005

PaRedneckRiders 01-29-2012 01:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So it wasnt raining today and the ground was froze up for a little bit figured i would pull the cab off.
The frame is a little nicer than i even first thought the only problem though is the rear crossmember that the cab mounts too the one side is rotted enough that it didnt do anything but im looking for a good one now.
Attachment 2002
Attachment 2003
Attachment 2004

PaRedneckRiders 01-31-2012 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Didnt have much to do today and it was pretty nice but i got the cab off the 86 frame and moved my 14bolt in the garage and pulled the drums off. The plan for it is to keep the 4.10 gears get a locker, and the drums are not in real bad shape so ill prob turn them down on a brake lathe make sure there true and just throw some new pads and hardware on. It already has brand new wheel cylinders from before i bought it.
Id like to do disk brakes but i figure if i can get away with something that still works good and is pretty cheap i will do that if i feel the need for disks later on i can always upgrade.
Attachment 2000
Attachment 2001

NullHead 01-31-2012 11:19 PM

Drums work fine as long as they're adjusted and working properly.

PaRedneckRiders 02-01-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74457)
Drums work fine as long as they're adjusted and working properly.

Ya i know but i would save alot of weight and get better performance by swapping it to a disk brake set up but for now im just going to use the drums.

PaRedneckRiders 02-04-2012 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my black truck mostly torn apart, im going to have my buddy come get it today or tomorrow to go to scrap hes buying this and he bought a parts cavalier i had and hes giving me a good deal on a D60 axle.
But as soon as i pull the heater box and steering box off im going to have him come get it then i can go pick up my dana 60
Attachment 1995
Attachment 1996
Attachment 1997

PaRedneckRiders 02-05-2012 07:23 PM

Rest in pieces 84. The rest of it rolled away on a buddies flatbed today. Im going sometime this week to look at dana 60s he said he has a dodge one with 4.10s he would sell me but also has a GM one which is the one i will probably get because i was reading about the dodge d60s and they need some modifications to fit properly so i would rather choose bolt on over changing things.

I do have one question though my rear has 4.11s in it now and im debating on keeping them or going to a 4.56. The truck will not be driven on the road very much, just occasionally but when it is i would still like to be able to do 70 or so down the highway. I will be running an sm465 backed by an np205 so what are your guys opinions, i would like to sort that out before i get lockers because the 4.11 and down and the 4.56 and up lockers are not interchangeable.

Anyway i will also probably be ordering my rear shackles and front spring mounts from DIY4X soon.

PaRedneckRiders 02-09-2012 08:36 PM

Ok well tonight i picked up my dana 60, tomorrow im going to clean it up some and try to figure out what gears are in it ill post some pics then. But the next couple weeks is probably going to be pretty slow, im going to order my DIY4X parts after next weekend because we are going to Motorama in Harrisburg, Then i need to find the lift springs i want to use.

PaRedneckRiders 02-10-2012 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I really really hate frozen mud. I should have cleaned it last night before it froze hopefully it warms up some so i can clean it my pressure-washer barley even touches it.
Attachment 1993
Attachment 1994

PaRedneckRiders 02-11-2012 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well today i sandblasted the trans and t-case. It didnt really turn out that great the cheapo craftsman sandblaster just didnt have enough guts to get all the stuff off, i think if i would have sprayed some degreaser on it the last couple days and washed it first it would have worked but its done now.
And i cleaned up the silver overspray that was everywhere after these pics so black is where it should be and so is the silver.
Attachment 1991
Attachment 1992

NullHead 02-11-2012 09:58 PM

wow awesome that looks pretty good! Keep up the good work and pictures

PaRedneckRiders 02-15-2012 06:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It warmed up a little bit the last couple days so i was able to clean the D60.
Attachment 1987
Attachment 1988
When i was pulling the diff cover off i cleaned the ratio tag and saw that it should have 4.10s in it
Attachment 1989
I continued to pull the diff cover off and what i found wasn't what i was hoping for, some nasty looking oil and a good bit of water and ice. I come to find out that the pinion seal is leaking which is still not a real big deal.
Attachment 1990
So now this axle is going to get torn down and cleaned really good both inside and out along with a nice sandblast and paint, for now im keeping the 4.10s in the front rear and not going to lock it, If i like the ratio ill put lockers front and rear if not ill change gears then do lockers, but plans for the D60 are all new brakes, clean, paint, Crossover steering and replace necessary things.

NullHead 02-15-2012 11:15 PM

If I'm not mistakin', wouldn't different ratios in the front and rear create issues when driving on pavement?

PaRedneckRiders 02-16-2012 05:43 AM

Well having different ratios is not good your correct, but there are many people that run the 4.11s in the 14bolt and 4.10s in the dana60 because that is the closed to being matched set of gears for those two axle. Such a small difference in the ratio should make little too no difference.
And looking back i was wrong both are 4.10s, im not sure why i was thinking the 14bolt was 4.11s that was my bad so everything is good.

NullHead 02-16-2012 12:36 PM

Awesome build :D

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that the muddy hunk you called an axle had water in it. You'll get 'er all cleaned out good though. Looking forward to more progress :)

PaRedneckRiders 02-16-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by NullHead (Post 74722)
Awesome build :D

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that the muddy hunk you called an axle had water in it. You'll get 'er all cleaned out good though. Looking forward to more progress :)

No i wasnt really surprised but would have been happier if it didnt have water in it. It not a big deal just a leaking pinion seal and i planned on pulling it apart i just need to clean it real good now.

PaRedneckRiders 02-29-2012 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry guys been pretty slow lately, i haven't been able to order any parts yet and haven't been able to get much done lately because of the weather its either raining or snowing.
But today i was able to cut my brake drums and surprisingly they were not that bad, after knocking some of the crusty stuff off the outside edge it only took two cuts and they were good.
Attachment 1962
Im gonna head into town probably this weekend and pick up the stuff i need to put the rear axle back together for good, the brake shoes and hardware, along with new seals for the inside of the brake drums.

PaRedneckRiders 02-29-2012 07:19 PM

I know i just cut my drums but i was looking at parts i need to order and i decided to look at the rear disk brake conversion again for the 14bolt. Well this is the way i have decided to go now, ill just order the brake brackets along with my other parts that i have to order from DIY4X at the same time. I would have another 50$ or more into shoes and hardware, and its not all that much for calipers and disks so i figure its a win win win, ill have better braking power something easier to service and something lighter.

PaRedneckRiders 03-08-2012 07:17 PM

Okay so today i ordered some of my parts from diy4x, i ordered my disk brake brackets for the 14bolt a B52 kit for the front and a rear shackle flip. Not sure when the parts will get here but I'm really anxious to see them I've heard nothing but good things about diy4x and their products.

PaRedneckRiders 03-11-2012 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So the other day i picked up another 14 bolt ff, i got this one for 20$ Today i stripped it of everything and kept anything thats worth anything. I just really wanted the hubs off the drums for when i do disk brakes but i also kept the ring and pinion the axle shafts and the adjusters for inside, pretty much everything that was good.
The housing itself is not in bad shape but i have no use for another one right now so ill just throw it in the scrap pile.
Attachment 1960
Attachment 1961

PaRedneckRiders 03-19-2012 02:46 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Today i got my diy4x parts and all i have to say is wow, these things are just awesome. Pictures dont do them words because i have looked at many pictures where people were using them and i thought they looked decent but once there in your hands its a totally different story these things are sweet. I will definitely be doing business again with them soon.
Attachment 1954
Attachment 1955
Attachment 1956
Attachment 1957
Attachment 1958
And here just showing the old stuff beside the new parts
Attachment 1959
Also my friend has a 2wd auto at his house which the cab is decent on he is tearing it all apart he said i can have the cab for some of the parts i have that he wants and i dont so im getting a practically free cab that i will be able to use. Im going to replace the rockers cause i already have new ones and the cab corners arent that great but everything else isn't bad, ill just have to cut the floor and make a new tunnel for a manual 4x4.

NullHead 03-19-2012 05:33 PM

Wow those parts are awesome looking. Seems like they're all hand welded in a jig. Looks amazing