Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Redneck Ramair

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Default Redneck Ramair

I know this has been discussed before,I have done a couple of searches but I can't find any info on removing the stock airbox on my 2002 Silverado to do the Redneck Ramair Mod. I will be cleaning my drop in K&N this weekend and probably descreen and clean the MAF, and figured I might as well do the Redneck Ramair while I'm there,but last time I had the filter out it wasn't obvious how the filter box would come out. Also there is a scoop/horn inside the box from the fender opening that looks like it would actually restrict incoming air into the filter box,should I remove that also,if so how does it come out too? any photos of a finished air box?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Redneck Ramair

Just pull up on the airbox. It will lift out if you put some *** into it. Wiggle the airbox a little and presto. The best way I have seen to mod the airbox is to take a drill and a holesaw ( like for doorknobs )and go to town. Just be sure not to go so high you can see the filter.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TOP HALF OF THE AIRBOX!!! only under the filter.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 PM

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I guess I just didn't yank hard enough, for fear of breaking something. It appeared to have a couple of snap or friction pins that come up from inside the wheel well liner underneath. I assume that it will just snap back in when done. Did you leave yours with several approx 3" holes or did you make it into one big hole with a saw or dremel,etc.? I also noticed in your vehicle specs that you did the air gap insulation removal. How long ago and have you had any problems? A friend at the local Chevy dealer advised against it, said it would expose the knock sensors to the elements(live in Massachusetts)and cause early failure and likely cause them to "false" sense knocks(retarding the timing/lose power and MPG)from external sources without the sound dampening. It seems like a valid theory,but looking for feedback from people who have done it.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 PM

I wouldnt do the air gap thing or descreen the MAF! there are no gains from either and they both can cause problems. You will not need an after market Maf unless your pushing 600hp or better with forced induction. Then you would get a wider MAF.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Now Steve, there you go thinking again.... Definately descreen the MAF. It's easy and it's free. You won't notice any difference unless your at Wide Open Throttle but when you are you can tell a bit of difference.... and it's free. Even if it's only 1.7hp+ that's better than nothing. Mine has been descreened for over half a year now and no problems at all. Just read the walkthrough on it and you'll be fine.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 PM

No problems that you know of! Like detonation?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 AM

About the redneck ram air, i have a volant box with custom cut pipe running form the hole in the bottom of it to the spot where my foglights would be, and that is my redneck ram air. About MAF, if you are going to get your truck tuned by a shop, then i wouldnt de-screen it because it will mess with the a/f ratio. But i have had mine de screened for a few months and had no problems, but if i still had the screen i probably would put it back on.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Any detonation problems is due to too much air being drawn in for the stock PCM calibrations. Thats where you need a tune to compensate. The guy at Hypertech said that anything more than a K&N and exhaust on these LS motors would require a tune or "dail in". I would think that a descreen would count as the "more".

Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
TruckForum Addict

Oh well, better out then in

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Unless you get detonation I wouldn't worry so much about any of these mods. I would check the MPG and 0-60 times however. And if your truck suffers, time for a tune or retune right?

Quick Reply: Redneck Ramair