Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default Remote Start

Preety much what the subject says just want to know what you guys think and about how much they run. Thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Default RE: Remote Start

sams club had one for like a hundred bucks on sale. and i think they are pretty cool and nice.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM

I like em, I think they would be really good for warming your truck up on those cold mornings when you dont wana go outside. I havent done any research regarding them. I heard they were a little more pricey than 100$ though. But if it works than why not go with that one.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

I had one in my truck, and it died on me, so i got one re-installed. Since i had the wiring all done, to install it and buy the new unit it cost me 150. Its called Prestige, and i love having it up here in New England where its 0 degrees right now and i can start my truck 20 minutes before i leave.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM
TruckForum Addict

When you install one can it effect anything else like if the remote start dies can you still hand start the truck. Also is it just to start the truck do you still use the same remote to unlock and lock? Thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM

The remote start is seperate thing from what you use to unlock and lockyour truck, its got its own signal. And yes you can still hand start it if it dies, mine didnt work all summer but i wanted to have it for winter. But on the system i got, i have a seperate littledevicethat i use for the remote start, and that one doesnt have the lock and unlock for my doors on it, but i still got the one that GM gives you when you buy the truck and that is what i use to lock and unlock my doors. My moms got a different brand, and hers has the remote start, lock and unlock on the same thing, mine doesnt, just depends on what brand you get. But if you live up north or where its cold, i would get one.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Yes they are nice to have up here in New Hampshire, as my wifes Av has one, but i recall checking into one for my truck @ a local Audio specialty shop last year or so, and with GM's theft deterrent chip in our trucks, they have to add a chip to work with / override GM's chip, and a few other chips, and just for the standard remote starter, with no lock / unlock features, i believe it was gonna be about $400.00. I'd still like to have 1 BUT.............. Not for $400 smackeroos. Check with a reputable shop for yourself, and keep us posted but i think thats what you'll find out they cost installed........... Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM

they range from 200 to 500 at best buy... one of my buddies just got one and yes if it dies you can still just use the key like normal... i think they're pretty nice i just dont want to throw that kind of money down when i have mechanical problems to solve first

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

I called a few places and it would be $250 to use my remote and 300 to 350 to use there remotes which are good up to 1/2 mile.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I have a cheap cool start remote starter in my truck and the wife has a little better two way remote start, I like them both. Make sure that you get one that will work in the distance that you want and make sure that you read the owners manual when you get it installed so that you can take advantage of all the features that it has! My cool start works great, no problems with mine at all. Unless the battery in my truck is going dead! (extream cold weather) The newer vehicles with that chip thing, yeh it is more but you get the same outcome. The cadillac needed that chip thing and it works great, with that car it has climate control and that is great. Make sure that when they wire it up so that it only starts it and operates the heat/what ever other features that you want. I figured out that the car's starter will allow the wipers to run if they are left on previously. Wheras my trucks will not! I don't want you to find that out when your wipers are frozen to the windshield and burn up your wiper motor.

Quick Reply: Remote Start