Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing "black Vortec box"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default removing "black Vortec box"

So I decided to remove the "black box" ( the one on the air intake hose just behind the throttle body that says Vortec on it)...I need ideas as to what I should cover the hole with. I was thinking about a sock...but I dont know if this will keep out dirt. the thinking behind this is to give the engine more air after the MAF and maybe improve fuel mileage a little....thoughts?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Default RE: removing "black Vortec box"

You end up changingthe Air fuel ratio when you do that. Instead I blocked off the hole with a paint can cap. (Just glue the little hole in it) That will only give you a bit more throttle response. This will not really help with fuel econ.

What you can do instead: Get a fuel catylist like the Fitch Fuel Catylist, that will give you a bit more power and increase fuel econ.

Have fun!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 PM

I was concerned about the fuel/air ratio also....but i blocked it with a sock and drove it around the block.....just to see if it would throw a code and it didnt but I put it back I was just "exploring" other options for possible "performance upgrades"

Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't put the sock backin the hole. I would be afraid of it getting sucked in to the throttle body or worse. That wouldn't be good if it got to one of the valves and started to catch some gas, that might be a big fire. Just a thought! It may have not thrown it off enough by having the sock in there. Man I cannot get over you putting a sock over that hole. It's just funny to me. But I guess I have seen worse.

Here is what you can do. Search in the "Ultimate Free Mods List" on this forum. I think it is still a sticky at the beginning.
Look those over.

I would amagine that you have the 5.7L, right?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Redneck engineering.Gotta love it!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Dang, Chris - you weren't happy just keeping that beast running and stopping safely this week, huh? You just HAD to start tweaking on it, too[sm=smiley36.gif] Glad you're still rollin, tho!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM

come on guys.....give me a little creditI clamped the sock to the OUTSIDE I did not just stuff it in the hole..........I put the box back on and I will leave it on untill I get the funds to buy and aftermarket setup...........and dmccartyfanyeah sometimes I just cant leave well enough alone........I did check the free ultimate mods and I even wrote a descreen how to for the pre 98 trucks when I did mine....any one got ideas on a good aftermarket setup for the air intake??????(remember Im a poor man)

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM

You could try taping together a few paper towel rolls for the ultimate redneck CAI heh heheh - and THAT folks, is how I spent my 100th post. Sorry guys[sm=wootwoot.gif]

Seriously, I gotta give you credit for experimenting - and REALLY relieved you didn't stuff socks into your intake like some molotov cocktail

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM

thanks for the credit tom....you know the thought had crossed my mind but......I couldnt find any big enough[sm=bs.gif]

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

if you go to a good hardware store like Menards (it's an up north thing) The Home Depot or Lowes you can get super sturdy paper towel rolls up to at least 12" diameter.Made by Quik-Crete as forms for pouring cement =] Redneck CAI problem solved.Just add duct tape!

Quick Reply: removing "black Vortec box"