Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

removing "black Vortec box"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default RE: removing "black Vortec box"

ORIGINAL: cinch_rodeo

if you go to a good hardware store like Menards (it's an up north thing) The Home Depot or Lowes you can get super sturdy paper towel rolls up to at least 12" diameter.Made by Quik-Crete as forms for pouring cement =] Redneck CAI problem solved.Just add duct tape!
I for got about them.............and Menards is no longer an up north thing they are almost done building one here...but yes I first ran accross a Menards in Minnesota

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Wow Menards is really expanding I guess.I first saw them in Wisconsin.We now have one about 15 miles from us, in the city.(Marion Ohio) We only have "Joe's True Value" for a hardware store here in lil ole Mt Gilead,Ohio.About the size of a closet.We have 4 stop lights though.More than any other town in the county.YeeHaw!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: cinch_rodeo
sturdy paper towel rolls up to at least 12" diameter.Made by Quik-Crete as forms for pouring cement =] Redneck CAI problem solved.Just add duct tape!
Now, THAT'S funny

Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 PM

LoL yup and I have a 12" diameter tube for fence posts and I can put it on it's side,so it's parallel to the ground, and stand on it.I'm sure the smaller ones are just as sturdy.Add 100mph tape and mebby some epoxy and you prolly could make a CAI but I doubt it would hold up to the rain and temp changes under the hood.Wouldn't want it breaking up and goin into the engine like that tube sock now =]

Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM

you could wrap it with saran wrap for weather protection, then stretch the tube sock over the end for an air cleaner! LOL

Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Ha Ha very funny guys but really Ive been thinking about using PVC for a real "redneck" CAI.....I have an Idea I just gotta "justify" it to the "boss"

Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM

LoL that's really not a bad idea.Can you find 4" PVC pipe? If so those aftermarket clamp on the end of a CAI filters would work.Hmm may have to figure out how to get one to work on my TBI.like an adapter to mount on the TB and all that.Mebby can find one of those Tornado Intake things too.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM

I was thinking about using the 2 plastic pieces that are already there( TBI part and filter part) and ditching the "accordian hose and using pvc instead

Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM

I was kinda thinking about making an adapter to go straight on the throttle body,thinking the big round air filter housing would conduct more heat into the air going thru it.Dunno if it would or not or if it would breathe better one way or another.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Dude if you gotta go thru the trouble of checking in and possible getting in trouble the with the boss, ya might as well go all the way for the real thing

Quick Reply: removing "black Vortec box"