Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
View Poll Results: Should I go with Dupli-Color Bed Liner?
Yes
28.57%
No
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Roll on Bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Exclamation Roll on Bed liner

I'm looking into getting the Dupli-color bed liner when I get my 2005 Silverado 1500(8' bed). I did some looking around on the forum and didn't find much info, especially anyone with a chevy. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or recommendations (either good or bad). Also, will this affect installing a saddle toolbox. If you have pics of how yours looks please post. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM

I put in a DIY Herculiner in my 06 6.5 ft bed. It was pretty messy to put in but I sure do love it. It looks really good and almost like a professional did it. I put probably 4 or 5 coats on and have had no problems with chipping or anything like that.

Worst that thats happened was that I was racheting down a bed load of wood and the hook of the rachet kinda pulled a little bit off one of my tow hooks. But I wouldn't count that as "chipping" or peeling. I love it, I can put on some pictures if you'd like. It cost me about 100 dollars.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Please do send a few pics. Is it a pretty rough surface? If so, rough enough to damage drywall or a finished sheet of plywood(oak, birch, ect veneer)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM

Don't know which one of these will work. http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=003.jpg Try that if the picture doesnt show up in the post.

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  144.9 KB

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 04-18-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Looks awesome man. I'm defiantly going to look into that and compare it to dupli-color. Was it hard to do?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM

I bought a cheap texture spray gun w/ a gravity hopper off ebay. That thing helped a lot!. It basically allowed me to spray it on instead of rolling it. After using it twice though the stuff basically dried in it and I couldn't use it anymore. But if I did it over again I'd do it the same.

It's a pretty rough surface. It could damage drywall if enough pressure was applied. I skin my arm/elbow, etc a lot on but it's worth it. You could always get a thin rubber mat to put in the bottom for when you had drywall or nice wood.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM

I'm defiantly going to do a DIY, just a matter of Dupli-color or Herculiner. The drop-ins or professionaly sprayed liners are like 500$ min. doesn't seem quite worth it. Most of the time I'll have 2x4's/plywood or boxes of hardwood floor. Like you said I can just lay something down if I have some sort of finished surface in there. How long did the hole process take you? I know that dupli-color takes only a few hours. And i was reading saying I'd have to buy extra material because I have an 8' bed, so I would assume the same with Herculiner. How is the order when you apply it? Is there anything I definitely need to do while I'm installing/preping? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM

To do it right and a quality job it would take about a day. I did mine over multiple days but I didn't take the truck out of the barn while I was putting it in.

You have to scuff up the bed really well and clean it out with acetone. That took me about 3 hours using a cordless drill and a wire brush attachment. You could get it done a lot quicker if you had a pnuematic sander.

Then tape it off and cover up anything you don't want the liner on. I just used plain painters tape around the bed rails and taped some empty feed sacks on the back glass and outside of the bed.

The first application with the sprayer took 20 minutes tops. I sprayed both sides of the bed but not the floor. I waited about 30 minutes then put another coat on the sides and put one in the floor. Waited another 30 minutes and put another floor coat on and that was it with the sprayer.

At that point I think I let it all dry overnight and just rolled on 2 or 3 more coats to the floor. The sprayer helped it tremendously and actually made it look better.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have used Duplicolor and while it is a nice product for items that won't see abuse I just don't see it holding up in a truck bed. I haven't personally used Herculiner, but from what I've read it is a tougher product. Like anything the prep work is key.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I have used Duplicolor and while it is a nice product for items that won't see abuse I just don't see it holding up in a truck bed.
I won't be abusing it too bad. Mostly tools and just wood material(2x4, plywood ect). Do you think it would hold up to that as apposed to stone, ect.?

Quick Reply: Roll on Bed liner