Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Roller Rockers worth it?? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/roller-rockers-worth-4274/)

07_Bowtie 08-25-2007 10:03 PM

RE: Roller Rockers worth it??

ORIGINAL: MrLM7

Roller rockers do make a difference on these motors... $680 is way too much, though... You can get some Harland-Sharps out of Summit for like $400...
Thanks Brutha, I appreciate the input. I have been searching the net for some other stuff too. Seems there may be a cam that I can put in that is not necessairly smog legal but will blow good smog numbers. If that can happen I would be set. Anyone know much about thunder racing. I was rolling through the ls1tech boards and came acorssed thunder racing as some options. Prices weren't too bad. Plus for an extra $25.00 they will get you a custom grind that you need.

72charger 08-25-2007 10:23 PM

I wonder how much it would cost all together to have a shop install a beefed up cam in our trucks. Did we say whether or not our ECU would have to be reflashed to cope with the cam change? Seems like you would have to in order to get fuel delivery sinked up right.

smoke20 08-26-2007 08:40 AM

Charger - I am pretty sure it does have to be programmed, also timing will need to be adjusted.

SouthBayZ71 08-26-2007 11:43 PM

07 Bowtie, if you find a cam that will pass muster here in Cali, please let me know. I was talking to a guy at CraneCams and he said that they don't test for emmissions in CA, but some of their competitors do and have the sticker ...but he wouldn't volunteer who they were.

07_Bowtie 08-27-2007 01:00 AM

Charger, I really think it depends on how aggressive the cam is. I am going to have to go with something that will allow a stock idle. I am going to need a tune anyways, to compensate for all the crap I have already done. I will be going with something unfortunately for me provides a normal idle. If you look at the one that says old man truck cam I think that might be mine. If I get a chance I am going to call Thunder racing today and talk to'em about a decently legal cam. My only problem beyone finding the cam is finding someone to install it in so cal. I know it can be done, just have to trust my baby to the right shop.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...=9&pcid=51

Southbay, are you saying that the guy at crane cams said that there are competitors that have a carb legal cam for our trucks? I looked at the CARB website the other day there is no legal cam for anything newer than a 1987 vehicle. I would be quite curious to know if there is one that I couldn't find. That would be sweet.

72charger 08-27-2007 06:19 AM

The emissions testers cannot decide whether or not it is legal to change your camshaft. That is bologna. It's a free country. You've just gotta find a way to make your system pass the smog test right? If you decide to go to a bigger better cam, get a bigger better cataylitic converter. I don't know why people in california haven't figured that out yet. As you upgrade your vehicle get a better cat or get multiple cats.

SouthBayZ71 08-27-2007 10:02 AM

Two points:

1) This is not a free country - this is California. California makes everything impossible. They want everybody to drive around in a Toyota Prius and plant a tree at every stop light.

2) The reason why we haven't figured it out is because we aren't All-Knowing like yourself.

jcbst12 08-27-2007 10:10 AM

I wouldn't rule out a port and polish job. After putting in my TBS, I was kinda disappointed in the craftsmanship of the TB. I mean the flute around the butterfly was real rough and uneven. If they have the same quality in the heads I bet you could pick up some real HP from a port and polish job.

07_Bowtie 08-27-2007 01:06 PM

Well I just got off the phone with Jonathan at Thunderracing. As I suspected I will most likely have to run the old man truck cam that they offer. He said this is one of the only ones that they provide for a truck that will blow good smog #'s. He said it was good for 40-50HP and was really great for the low end. I also asked him about the roller rockers and he actually advised against it. That being said I will be ordering the cam here in another couple of weeks. Now to find a place to install it.

Charger- Bro to understand how California works u have to live here. In 1979 The California Air resources Board(C.A.R.B.) Was formed as a federal mandate of the clean air act of 1979. They were threatening to pull Federal dollars away for transportation and road reparis and such. Also along with that came the Bureau of Automotive Repair(B.A.R.) still exists today. Back in the day they were actually setting up stings on bad smog techs back in the day when all you had to get was a sniffer put up the tail pipe. Ever since BAR97 was enacted in cali we now get our **** put on a dynamometer with the sniffer. It is so rediculous. Therefore with CARB and BAR yes they can in fact tell us how our cars are going to be. I often reffer to California as The United States of California as it pretty much does whatever the hell it wants to. The last thing I want or need is to fail smog and be labelled as a gross polluter. That will just **** up my world. Sorry for the long post but I felt some education was in order.

SouthBayZ71 08-27-2007 01:15 PM

Did you get a price on the cam? Perhaps you can see if he's willing to give a discount for purchasing 2 cams (meaning that I will buy one too ...if the price is right).