Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Default Royal Purple

Hey guys i was wondering if using just Royal Purple 5w30 engine oil will do anything such as mpg or hp and not changing out all the fluids (2006's can only use factory gm dexron VI)?

right now im using penziol platinum 5w30 and havet really noticed any difference. its only about $1-$2 differnce per quart here

thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Default RE: Royal Purple

I have heard that royal purple will free up a few ponies but i have no real experience with it other than what i saw on HP tv. I will be switching soon and test it.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 PM

I use Royal Purple in my truck and I like it. If you're just using the oil it is very unlikely that you will feel any difference in HP. I did notice the truck seemed to idle smoother and was smoother all around. There are studies out there, maybe on the Royal Purple web site, that say RP will last a lot longer than conventional oil making the price difference worth it. I plan on changing all the fluid to RP, because I think the transmition fluid can be used in GM vehicles. But don't quote me on that.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM

if you have an 05 or older GM which does not use the Dexron VI transmission fluid they make some for it but they make nothing for the new Dexron VI fluid. this is what the RP rep sent me:

Jason, [/align][/align]Thanks for the email - [/align][/align]For your Silverado, the RP 5W30 for the engine, 6.0 quarts[/align]RP MaxGear 75W90 for the front and rear differentials[/align]Front - 1.85 quarts[/align]Rear - 2.1 - 2.75 quarts depending on which size diff ring gear[/align]RP Synchromax for the transfer case - 2 quarts[/align]RP MaxEZ Power Steering Fluid for the ps pump - 1 pint[/align]RP Purple Ice Coolant Additive - add one bottle to the existing 16 quart coolant mixture[/align][/align]For the automatic transmission, GM has come out with a new Dexron VI in 2006.[/align]We recommend staying with the factory fluid as using a none factory approved product would void your 5 year 100,000 mile warranty.[/align][/align]Attached is a tech memo on this from GM.[/align][/align]Royal Purple does not offer a Dexron VI alternative at this time.[/align][/align]David[/align][/align]David Canitz[/align]Tech Services Manager[/align]Royal Purple Ltd[/align]1 Royal Purple Lane[/align]Porter, TX 77365[/align]281-354-8600 x202[/align]281-354-7335 fax[/align]713-725-7207 cell[/align]dcanitz@royalpurple.com[/align][/align]

GeneralMotors DEXRON®-VI Global Service-Fill Specification

[size=2]During early 2005 General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Since the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON®-III service-fill fluids available at the time it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON® service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated

Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM

So i wouldn't mess up my transmission by putting that in my truck?