Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running extra reverse lights

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Default Running extra reverse lights

Is there an easy way to hook up mounted reverse lights? Or do I have to run wires to the front? Can I tap into the trailer harness?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am going to do the same thing here shortly and have found a few that tap into the trailer lights. I have been bringing the boat in after dark lately and backing up at my unlit ramp is a little scary!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 AM

I can imagine hahah. It's scary enough backing up in a dark parking lot at night. I have 55w KC widebeam driving lights that I took of my Blazer when I sold it and want to put them on the back of my Silverado. They have all the wires with them but wanna know if I can hook then up somewhere in the back without having to run wires throughout the truck.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

You might want to be careful with the high power ones like that. You might need a heavier gauge wire run to the front, but that isn't a big deal. A little bit if wire and some zip ties and you should be good.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

If your just goin to mount them in the back of the truck, might try these... http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/L...-p7516915.html

Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM

Yeah I'm considering that but I just hate running wires haha
Hmm that's pretty cool with the license plate lights. Never thought of that. I was thinking if I just put LED's in my reverse lights if that would be sufficient? Eventually planning on buying the light bar for my tailgate.

Off topic: I bought interior dome lights from VLED's, the fitment guide says the Silverado uses 212-1 but they only sell the 212-2 which states it also fits the 212-1, but the factory 212-1 bulbs are slightly smaller. Have you tried the interior lights from this site? I figured I'd just bend the clamps so they grab the lights but i'll have to bend them a lot.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by dimmuborgir6nik6
Is there an easy way to hook up mounted reverse lights? Or do I have to run wires to the front? Can I tap into the trailer harness?
You can only get maybe 10 amps by cutting into you factory wiring harness and the factory backup lights are already using most of that.

I used EZAUX from eBay ... see www.ezaux.com ... it allows up to 300 watts I think!

I made ONE wiring connection between the EZAUX adapter red wire and my lights and I was done - the hard part was mounting the lights themselves

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM

I installed these 5 watt Cree LED bulbs in my reverse lights and they are freaking bright:

high power LED reverse backup bulbs - Retro-Solutions Store

Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM

If you have a RV7 trailer connection on your truck you can, (if i'm not mistaken) use the center terminal to power reverse lights.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Beginner

You can... BUT you will be sharing a fairly low current circuit (usually around 10 amp) with your factory backup lights. So adding a pair of 55 watt lights is adding 9.2 amps to what may only be a 10 amp circuit... leaving only 0.8 amps for the factory lights. You'll have to verify how your vehicle fuses that circuit to avoid overloading it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running extra reverse lights