Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Running Plus when a Denali Sierra calls for Premium

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Beginner
Default Running Plus when a Denali Sierra calls for Premium

Just wondering rather its true the truck will be fine running it, that is running plus when it calls for premium? I just talked to a guy at a dealership who works there by the way and he said it can run fine with plus. Gmc sierra denali 6.2 L. I asked one of my friends who has a denali suv with the 6.0 engine, body style before the new style out now, actually the style with the round front and he says his calls for regular:dunno: I was thinking they all would call for premium.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM
TMW

Most vehicles will run fine on reg even when premium is called for. Try a 1/2 tank and see how it runs then 3/4 tank and then a full tank. If you live at a higher altitude all the better. Modern control computers will adjust the timing to correct any pinging but you'll lose some HP.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Beginner

If it's the recommended fuel, then it means your engine will run most efficiently on that particular fuel. Drop to a lower grade fuel and your fuel efficiency will likely drop as well. Kind of a double edged sword. If you can afford the premium price for a Denali, how can you not afford the extra pennies per gallon for premium fuel. Assuming you fill up a completely empty tank once a week, you are probably looking at $6/week or so, which is maybe $300 a year difference in cost.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Greg66
If it's the recommended fuel, then it means your engine will run most efficiently on that particular fuel. Drop to a lower grade fuel and your fuel efficiency will likely drop as well. Kind of a double edged sword. If you can afford the premium price for a Denali, how can you not afford the extra pennies per gallon for premium fuel. Assuming you fill up a completely empty tank once a week, you are probably looking at $6/week or so, which is maybe $300 a year difference in cost.
excellent questions which is why I am not sure I am going to get the denali. I mean for one new the way i want it is at minimum around 45k including my discounts. Used with lower than 30k on the truck they are still wanting from 30-40k depending on the miileage. Just saw a nice one online , 2011 with 17k on it and they wanted 39k. Guy called me this morning and asked me what I thought about the pics he emailed me and the first thing I asked was how low are yall willing to go on it. He asked me what range i was looking to spend and I said for a used truck, from 33-35k at most and then thats a stretch.

Here is my thread at another forum regarding what i wanted in a truck:
Checking with alot of people at the different dealerships, it seems as if gmc doesnt want to just sell me the denali grills or even have them put on an slt at the factory. I even would have to get the front bumper painted done at a body shop or something. I was hoping I could save maybe by getting an slt then just getting the front like the denali and also the interior like the denali as far as the more woodgrain. Some has said that by the time I do those things I might as well get the denali, but I'm thinking if I could save at least a few thousand bucks, that could be used wisely.

So yeah things i have to have in the truck are white diamond color with front like the denali's with painted bumper and both grills, all the woodgrain that comes in the denali with slt only having some, and thats pretty much the 2 musts that I want in the truck. Also the slt i dont think comes with the cocoa cashmere but rather a cashmere, light cashmere with the dashboard not being that dark cocoa. So yes its alot of things i have to consider like if i just want to build a new vehicl and live with the things that come in them. Not sure at this point so I surely aint rushing