Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Serious need of a tune up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Default Serious need of a tune up.

My truck is acting wierd the past few days. If I go wot from a stop then it boggs down real bad but if I come off the gas to about 3/4 it will start picking up rms quick and take off better. It will do this in every gear it seems. Anyone had any issues like this. It doesnt spit or sputter at all just doesnt seem to want to "go" when I step in it. I replaced spark plugs and wires about 2,000 miles ago and cleaned my k&n last weekend. Any advice?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Default RE: Serious need of a tune up.

Part of it is the TQM (Torque Management) that will not allow full torque at WOT from a dead stop. If it is worse than it ever was before it might be because you need to check/replace:

1. Spark plugs (correct gap)
2. PCV
3. Fuel Filter

And I would....

* Clean MAF and TB
* Run Fuel Injector Cleaner through her

Try turning off the first two TQM settings on you Predator. Check your Long Term Fuel Trims and Knock Retard on your truck with your predator too, you might be running too rich. Let me know if I can be of help on using the Predator I have gotten pretty good with mine.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM

Well I just replaced the plugs and plug wires about 2,000 miles ago and I gapped them according to the label under the hood that tells you the gap. As far as the predator goes, I worry about changing the settings a little because I dont wanna mess anything up. I have turned the TQM settings to off and they have been that way a while but this just started happening recently! I cleaned the MAF and even took the throttle body completely off to clean both sides of it. All this was done right around the time of the plug and plug wire change. Maybe you could coach me a little on the adjustments of the predator. I will get a fuel filter and replace that this weekend and see if that helps.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Yeah I take the dealer sticker off right away. When I bought my Saturn I made them do it before id by it. I also locked myself in the trunk to test the the get out of own trunk feature.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Change the fuel filter first. Let me know if you need tips on getting it off.

The only thing I can tell you with the Predator is have a friend ride along and watch the "Data Viewer" or whatever its called. Have him keep his eyeball on the Knock Retard and Long Term Fuel Trims. Fuel trims should be around 0 to -2 and the Knock Retard should be "0". If not I have some ways to tweak the tune under "Modify Tune" that will put some spunk back in her.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 AM

Cool, I'll give that a try and let you know what the readings are. I would love to know how to tweak the tune to get a few more horses out of it but I dont want to screw anything up!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM

As long as you don't max out any of the settings you will be fine, not to mention there is a "Reset Parameters" setting in case you screw up.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 PM

Very true....If you could possibly list some of the things I should change and maybe what settings worked best for your truck. Hell ya never know they may work the same for me because honestly at this point Im disappointed in that programmer. It doesnt seem to have made much difference other than making my transmission shift a hell of alot harder!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 AM

I went in and changed some things and noticed a little difference. I set the tranny to shift a little softer and raised the injector slope a little. My knock retard is still sitting at 0 but raising the injector slope wont hurt anything as long as I dont max it out right???

Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 AM

Ok after reading a long article about this whole long term fuel trim ratio on line I realized that I needed to bring the injector slope down to get those readings right. I have it set to -5 and still my ltft is goes from 0 to like 1.56 and I have it set 2% to the lean side to try and bring it down. It doesnt smell like its running rich at all. Im gonna test drive it in the morning on the way home from work and see how it runs. Hopefully this made a difference and Im not screwing anything up.

Quick Reply: Serious need of a tune up.