Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

"Service 4WD" message

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Talking "Service 4WD" message

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I made an appearnace here! My 03 Sierra 2500 with the 6.0 continues to be mty favorite all-time vehicle.
I'm a sandwich shy of 80k miles and the driver info center message came up "service 4wd".

Does anyone know if this is for scheduled maintenance like swapping out the transer case fluid, or could this be a major issue. Truck's driving like a champ and I'm trying to avoid losing time at the dealer.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have found that most of the time it is the 4WD switch. Is yours a push button 4WD? Does it engage?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Unhappy oh well

bummer, I went out and took a look. None of the lights were on. I pushed the buttons and nothing happened. I guess it's off to the dealer for me! I pray it's not the transfer case!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM

My father in laws 03 did the same thing and I wanna say it was the four wheel drive module or somthing like that. It was something that bolts to the t-case and it was about $120

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

That means it is probably the switch or a fuse. Don't go to the dealer just yet! Check all your fuses first. If the fuses are good I bet you it is the switch. I have replaced at least a dozen of those things. We will help you fix it yourself and save you a bundle of cash!

I bought a truck at an auction one time and the 4 wheel switch would not light up. I checked all the fuses and they were good. I replaced the switch and still nothing. I replaced the transfer case switch and still nothing. I started from scratch again and checked the fuses. Some A-Hole at the auction had pulled the fuse for the 4 wheel drive trying to get it cheaper so even though all the fuse were good the important one was actually missing...so make sure all the fuses are there and that they are good. I assume if you have owned this truck for a while that noone had access to pull one of the fuses, but let me tell you how stupid I felt! That will always be etched in my brain!!!!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 03-31-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Default checking it out this morning

Thanks guys! As soon as the sun comes up I'm gonna jump in there and check it out!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Default fuse

No go on the 4wd fuse, it's intact. Is there anotehr fuse to check as well?

Are the switches on the transfer case a dyi, crawl under the truck easy access?

Oh yeah, where do I send the six-pack?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Your still not getting any light on the 4WD switch? And yes the transfer case switch was an easy swap. I tell what I can do for you...I have the extra switch from my missing fuse truck. Look at your switch and tell me if has the Auto 4WD feature or not. If mine is the same I will send it to you and you can swap it out to eliminate that. If it works for you then you can send me $20 or so for the switch. If it's not that all I ask is that you please send it back to me. How does that sound?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Thumbs up

Hey Mr Shamrock, that's very generous of you thanks! I think at this point, for the interest of time, I'm going to bring her in so they can look over the whole truck. I appreciate your offer, but I'm feeling pretty good that I won't need the new transfer case so if I overpay a little for the switch I'm ok with that.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 PM

No problem, let us know what they find.

Quick Reply: "Service 4WD" message