Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silverado radio swap - Factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Default Silverado radio swap - Factory radio

I have done a search. I have read about error codes.

I am about to purchase a base W/T Silverado.I see only two radios offered with the base W/T. I do have the brochure and the radio options looked limited. Looks like:

AM/FM Stereo and AM/FM stereo with CD Player as an option.

All the other radios are not offered in the W/T Work Truck category.

The question is, can one purchase/get one of the other radios offered for the new Silverado (new or used) and have the dealer install it - for the necessary codes?

Or is the computer chip in the W/T set only for the two radios offered?

I only want GM factory radio. No Crutchfield type radios.

Anyone have any information about swaping upgrading a factory radio in the Silverado?

Basically, I want the AM/FM CD and MP3 GM factory radio and it is not offered with the base Work Truck. That's what the brochure states anyway.

Yes, I could opt for the 1LT or the 2LT or the LTZ but I don't want all that extra stuff. Nordo I want to payfor all that extra stuff.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Silverado radio swap - Factory radio

No one has ever done this?

Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 AM

I've never worked in a w/t so i'm not sure if it has a different wiring harness or not. If the wiring harness is the same you shouln't have a problem switching them. The computer doesn't control the radio other wise it would be a lot bigger pain to put an aftermarket radio in.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 PM

The W/T or Work Truck is the base model, I think.

I have no idea if they would waste money putting different wiring harness in all the Silverados.

That's a good question though.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 PM

im pretty sure the wiring will be the same in all models but maybe the radio itself has less wires, thats how it was for mine at least.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:13 PM

It coule be upgraded..but ONLY with a unit for a silverado...and the dealer must program it to the truck

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM

I am looking/wanting to do the exact same thing. I have an 05 W/T Silverado. What you are saying is similar to what my Gm dealer told me, the unit you put in has to be out of a Silverado. Mine is just am/fm so anything else would be a step up.

But other than programing the new unit...i really dont see why it wouldnt work..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Beginner

I have no idea if they would waste money putting different wiring harness in all the Silverados. It coule be upgraded..but ONLY with a unit for a silverado...and the dealer must program it to the truck

Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

OP did you ever get this taken care of?

Anybody got an update on this?

I have an 05 Sierra with the standard AM/FM only. No CD, Tape or Aux. I would like to take it out and put in an aftermarket headunit. Installers have told me I have to buy their $120 add on harness to keep the computer from throwing codes and the warning chime ability.

I also see Walmart has a $40 bypass too made by Scosche (which is poor quality from my experience). Don't know what the differences are between the two, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if and which one or neither are really necessary for this model of truck?

TIA.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Well, I can finally answer my own question. My 05 Sierra extended cab 2WD edition. I put up a WTB ad on CL for a Silverado radio and got a hit. Delphi radio/CD player in real nice shape. It's an 04 model without the cassette player. Swapped it with my standard AM/FM and it plugged right in. Nothing to change. As it receives power it checks the VIN and sees it's different so goes into locked mode. Chimes still work but nothing else. Took it to a dealer and they reprogrammed it with the new VIN number. Cost me $49 and 30 minutes but worth it to me. Works great and so much more convenient. Me so happy.

Last edited by AtLarge; 03-22-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Silverado radio swap - Factory radio