Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   silverado shakes (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/silverado-shakes-10214/)

timber74wolf 05-30-2009 01:13 PM

Check your engine and tranny mounts again and see if your driveshaft is bent. Was it shaking before you put the new motor and tranny in too?

john c 05-30-2009 07:21 PM

silverado shakes

i will check them tomorrow. yes it was shaking before the new motor and tranny . but it does feel like a bent rim or unbalanced tire . i already eliminated that, i changed wheels and tires and it still shook at the same speed 60 to 70

john c 05-31-2009 09:57 AM

silverado shakes

well i checked my drive shaft and found a bad center u joint . i could feel the play in it so im doing them all and the carrier. they are not that old . the motor and tranny mounts were tight. cant get the carrier off so ill take it to work tomorrow.

john c 06-01-2009 06:43 PM

silverado shakes

did my u joints and carrier but still shakes. dont know what else to replace
rack and pinion maybe ? this shake is like a splinter , its driving me crazy!! soon i'll have a new truck (with a shake).

timber74wolf 06-02-2009 06:20 PM

Weak frame flexing under the stress. Try tightening all your cab bolts.

john c 06-03-2009 05:57 PM

silverado shakes

well i camped out under my truck and pretty much went over every bolt,nut ,brace, mount etc. found left rear shock bushing wore out and loose . also got my wife to shimmy the steering wheel back and forth while i watched the rack and pinion and the rack moved back and forth about a 1/4 inch total. i dont know if its supposed to do that? i have a couple of friends at work that have silverados so i'll check theirs out tomorrow.

RUFFNECK4LYFE 06-03-2009 06:06 PM

Did you put her rear on jack stands and put in gear and see if you could see any shaking??

john c 06-03-2009 07:44 PM

silverado shakes

i did that also on monday . started out slow to ckeck the tires and rims then took it up to 65 and it ran fine. had my wife do it first so i could see then did it myself for the feel

RUFFNECK4LYFE 06-03-2009 08:56 PM

Visually check the leaf spring bushings. Where they bolt up. Might as well replace them if your gonna take apart to see. But those make a good difference in ride. Bushings are pretty cheap. Bout 20 for a set.

samabhi123 06-04-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by john c (Post 45488)
my 99 silverado starts to shake at @ 60 mph. had tires balanced,upper and lower control arm bushings replaced . upper and lower ball joints replaced , shocks ,rotors and it still shakes. i read somewhere to replace the cab bushings. any info or help would be greatly appreciated

I think you should check the wheel alignments of your vehicle. The problem may be there.