Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Single Or Dule Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Default Single Or Dule Exhaust

Would you guys install a single turn down flow master, or dule exhaust out the back in a 4.8 with cold air intake and super chips? I do not want to lose low end power, so I was thinkingI should leave it single with turn down same as stock. Just looking for everyones opinon.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Single Or Dule Exhaust

You are not going to lose low end power and torque unless you are extremely unrestricted, i.e. (true duals, headers, etc...). If you want duals, go witha cat back system and a single in dual outlet muffler.

In my opinion, if you are going to spend the money to get a muffler and have it installed, you might as well geta cat back system for the appearance of duals. I think duals look a lot better than a single. Really, that is what it comes down to, sound and aesthetics. If youare looking for neck breaking performance gains, you are not going to find it with exhaust modifications.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Good advice Mark.

Jester, like Mark said if you get a muffler I would get the split rear pipes to give the looks of a dual exhaust. If you do have the exhaust split after the muffler (that's what I would do) you aren't going to lose your low end.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

Dual out the back thats what i did and it looks and sounds great. And i dont think i lost any low end torque.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 PM

So what you guys are saying, weather I do a single turn down or split dual exhaust the power is the same? I think I will stay with the single turn down the exhaust looks better hidden and sounds good fireing at the ground plus its a lot cheeper!Thanks for your input!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 PM

It's all what your taste is brother. I was going to originally go with 40 series flowmaster's, but I wanted a little more open design and I wanted to bea little different. I went with duals with 18" glasspacks. It sounds soooo good. It is a very angry and aggressive sound if you will. Nate81Camaro can probably describe the sound of them a little better. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Yeah, Mark's truck sounds really nice. Only way I can describe it is that it sounds very old school. Has that nostalgic glass pack muscle car sound. I was truly surprised that it sounded so good behind that 5.3 (having "only" 325 cube's).

I had turbo mufflers on my car that ended right before the rear axle with turndowns. Then I took those off and put glass packs on. Only problem I had was I wasn't able to run my turndowns because the glass packs were much longer than the mufflers were. I got tired of the interior resonance and put the turbo mufflers back on. Then, finally I got tired of those yet again. I looked around my garage and found I had set of new header reducers, the same glass packs, and a set of turndowns. I thought to myself - those would basically be "purple hornies". Took them down to an exhaust shop and had them weld it all together. I painted them with a 1200 degree high temp flat black spray can and bolted them on.
My car is a little loud, just ask Mark -

Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 AM

It is crazy loud!!! I freakin love it!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM

I must be used to it......I want it louder.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Thanks again guys, just like all of us here looking for as much power as I can afford!

Quick Reply: Single Or Dule Exhaust