Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Slight shake

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Default Slight shake

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, around 75k on it. Lately I've experienced a slight shake when stopped and not on the gas. When I take my foot off the brake, before I touch the accelerator, I feel a slight shaking. The RPM meter doesn't move.. the truck does move forward normally, just a slight shaking. Anyone else experience this? Any fix? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Is the shake in the steering wheel, pedal, or some other place?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM

A hesitation, due to the engine. Sorry should've been more specific. It feels like a slight pause, or shake, before it starts to move forward.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Check that Mass Air Sensor if its contaminated. They sell some spray cleaner at the parts store for bout 5 bucks.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Ok, I'll try that out. Appreciate the response. I'm also thinking that since it's at 75k I should go ahead and change out plugs, check the air filter.. etc

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Well the plugs are iridiums from the factory. They are made to last 100k. But if you do that anyway then get the NGK's. Thats the best plug for these trucks. They cost the same or less than AC Delco's. Also consider changing out the O2 sensors around 100k. That will make a difference in power and especially gas mileage.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Clean the throttle body also...they are known to get carboned up. I had a truck that would die sometimes off idle and after cleaning the throttle body it was back as good as new.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 PM

How tough is it to clean out the throttle body?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Real easy, just get a can of throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner), take the intake duct off, place a rag under the throttle body (to catch the cleaner that drains out), depending on how dirty it is you might need to get a toothbrush (preferably one your not going to use to brush your teeth again) and do a little scrubbing in between spraying the cleaner in there. Pay close attention to where the throttle blade contacts the inner wall of the throttle body. You can hold the throttle blade open to clean the edges also. When your done wipe out as much as you can with a clean rag and put it back together. If you keep a can handy and do it every 10,000 miles or so it will be a lot easier to clean. The truck that was dying on me I actually removed the entire throttle body (which is fairly easy) and cleaned it front and back, but it was an extreme case and with 180,000 miles looked like it had never been done. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks shamrock! I think I'll give that a try in the morning, it seems like the easiest suggestion so far. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Slight shake