Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Slipping???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Default Slipping???

Hey guys, I think im f*****. So its been really snowy/icy around here (texas panhandle) for the last couple of weeks. So me being me, if have been pretty hard on my truck sliding around and runnin higher than usaual rpms. Get up this morning and jump in the old truck, start it up and pull out of the drive way. My plans are to head to work, but my truck disagrees with me. I depress the accelerator, and it feels like im sliding on ice. Does this for about 20 seconds when i get out and check my tires. NO ICE!!! The engine runs normally with no unusually high rpms, and its like the tranny, or hopefully driveshaft is just disengaged and not giving power to the rearend, or tires, because I think it could be the rearend as well. Its like a started that does not engage if you have ever experinced that. Dont really know, and its not fun to replace a tranny, so any help would be great. Thanks

Old 01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Default RE: Slipping???

Will it move at all? Most of the time if the truck will not move at all or only reverse it is the torque converter came unbolted or the stator roller clutch in the converteris not holding.[/align]

Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM

I agree 100% if the truck will only engage in reverse it sound like the torque converter

Old 01-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Did you have the emergency brake set when parked? I park my truck on an incline and sometimes I experience something similar when the brakedoes not release all the way.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:56 PM

emergency brake huh?? Yep that must have been it(heavy sarcasm).... Here is a lesson for all. NEVER USE SEAFOAM TRANS-TUNE!!!! I put it in my tranny fluid thinking it would clean it up and help shifting, but it really just made all of the seals swell and destroyed the whole thing basically. When I get it fixed I will tell you how much it was.I think the trans-tune works great, they just leave outthe warning saying that if you still want to use your tranny, thendont use thier products.lol thanks for all of the advice, but I found the problem.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Well, cents this is about trannys, My 94 has 162,000 on the od. Runs good no leaks, don't smoke, uses a little oil but not bad. Question is, when it shifts into O.D. it totally lugs down the motor, like the finnal gear is to low or high you know what I mean. It does feel like it might be slipping a little bit, but I can't really tell. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 PM

If it is slipping it will be very noticable (rpms will go up significantly without speed increase). I cannot imagine that the gear ratio is that far off unless the tranny has had work done. should be a .73 OD if is 700R4 tranny (you didn't state which engine, and whether auto or manual so I chose the most common). Is this truck new to you? and if not is this a new problem? Have you added and new computer changes that may have thrown off the mapping? With a little more info I am sure someone here can get you an answer.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 PM

02 Silverado 2wd 4L60E took it to shop they drained two quarts of oil. It stoped working completely and the hillbilly that did it said I needed a new one. Only $900 he said. Thats sounds great Mr. Mechanic, Thanks for not fking me big time.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

A little info would help hu! Its a 94 Z71 ex-cab 350 auto. I've had it about 18mos, I have only put maybe 5000 mi on it. It dosen't rev up with no speed So I'm guessing its not slipping, the fluid looks good and is not burnt, I bought the truck from a frind thats relogous on mantaines, maybe it just needs a real good tune up. I don't know!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Gee, too bad you took such offense at themeresuggestion of the ebrake.Didn't mean for it toover-simplifyyour issue or insult you in any way. Yes, when they hang up it does cause a strange sensation when taking off too, but since you know it all (except not to use Seafoam), you knew that too. At least minewas not a $900 problem.... (heavy sarcasm right back atya!)

Quick Reply: Slipping???