Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokin' New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Default Smokin' New Hampshire

Hey all!
I've been readin' these for a good bit and finally decided to ask the PROS! I've been workin' out of my 1995 K1500 for a good bit now and just picked up an 07 duramax. I'm not going to bring her to blows with the woods yet but I was wondering what the most simple but productive things to do with my old bird would be? Lookin for speed/power etc. She's running a 5.7v8 with about 238000 miles and i am looking to put her to a happy but f-ing hot grave. let me know what you think would make her run like a raped ape! Thanks all and soon i'll need advice for the newbie!!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Smokin' New Hampshire

look at the free mods, then look into exhaust, headers, cam, supercharger, heads, the list goes on and on. Just depends on your budget.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 PM

My redneck buddy said to flip the top of my air filter cover so it brings in air like that...Also, does a K&N air filter really make a big diffrence or are we just strokin' their egos? Thanks for the advice and i've been lookin into exhaust--my issue is i am torn up between loud/cheap (cherry bomb/glasspack) or a REAL preformance exhaust--know of any that are loud and will last more than a year i.e. cherrybombs-. the free mod's look good but i've got the old carbourated engine--not much of your fancy stuff in my engine...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM

smoke its a 95 not many of those free mods apply here. but i would go with air flow, both intake and exhaust. a throttle body spacer is a good mod for the money deffinately shows a difference. if your willing to spend some money you could look into a larger throttle body for more fuel. a cpu tune will probably be one of your best bets.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM

This what I started out with on my 91' Flip the air cleaner top, get a K&N filter. Get a Torque Curve Trans Adapt Throttle Body spacer or Helix Throttle Body Spacer. For your truck, maybe find a bigger carb out of a junk yard and rebuild it or just get a new one. You need more CFMs. Rip the catalytic converter off and the muffler and replace the muffler with a Cherry Bomb or some other glasspack. If you have a kick down on the carb that is adjustable, tighten it a bit. This will give you firmer shifts. Buy a 160 degree thermostat ( or 180 if you drive it in 30 degree or below weather ). If you feel adventurous, get some heads off an older Corvette or Z28 and throw them on. Get a set of long tube headers. All of this should get you well on your way to gettin your rig runnin like a scalded dog.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 AM

Smoke is right on the money with suggestions. I dunno bout a supercharger on a motor that has 238,000 miles on it though. I would think it would blow the bottom end right out of it. Just my opinion.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

If your looking at crapping the motor out soon then why spend money on performance stuff that won't matter? Unless your replacing the LT1 with another one or just rebuilding to a whole new monster, I would just slap some cheap pipes and a muffler on there and enjoy it while it lasts. Maybe add a K&N too. They are definitely worth the money. It's just not worth it to do hundreds of dollars worth of modifications to it and then turn around 3 months from now when it blows a head gasket or something else and replace the engine with something different that the mods won't be compatible with.

On a different note however, my LT1 in my 95 Camaro has 240,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ! I am still working some idleing kinks out but once I get everything ironed out, I'm also gonna rag it into the ground until the engine goes CAPUT! (course it's already got all the regular bolt on mods)