Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

so a complete newb post

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Default so a complete newb post

im new so i get 1 complete duh newb post put im stumped. so performance wise, without breaking into the engine, what else is there? i have a tb spacer, coolant bypass, intake, exhaust, headers soon, a programmer, and i dont want to do a underdrive cause i dont want to deal with lesser ac and bad charging at idle. but seriously, staying out of the engine, what else can i get? electric fan? all i can think of, by the way its all for a 4.8. help me out if im missing ANYTHING. i want to be able to blow my buddys 5.3 out of the water

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: so a complete newb post

There is a lot of stuff. You've got all the regular bolt-ons covered. Now you move on to bigger better things like a Corvette Servo(easy and cheap!), higher rear end gears(4.10 FTW!), bigger better fuel pump+injectors+dyno tune, bigger throttle body..... I mean the list can go on. You should talk to Damnyankee. He has posted up a lot about some performance websites for these trucks. I think one was called ls1trucks.com but I can't remember if that's it or not.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 AM

ok, well i got the fuel pump covered. mine went out so i went with a walbro hp something or other. ill have to look it was a while ago. i drive to cali alot and i dont want to mess with the gearing to much. does anyone make a 90 mil throttle body? and how about a new intake manifold. and what is a corvette servo. just throwing a guess its the transmission servo for better shifting?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 AM

and thank you very much for the info. usually i get the 12 posts telling me to search and then abunch more about how sorry newbs are and then about 25-30 posts in someone with call all those guys asses and then give me a decent answer. this forum seems alot better. im used to 350z forums. lota info but alot of dicks too

Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
TruckForum Addict

Hah! That's how Supra forums are.

Yeah you got it right on the servo. I guess what everyone says is the one from the same year Vettes will go right in our trucks and they are UBER cheap. One guy posted a few days ago about a "billet servo" which is a lot more but supposed to make a huge difference in shifting and he highly recommended it. I'm also contemplating switching to Royal Purple fluid in my tranny whenever I drain it and change the filter but haven't reached a deciding point on that yet.

How much did the Walbro fuel pump run you? Was that an OE style or is that a higher fuel pressure rating than the OE pump?

I don't see why you'd have any problem running a 5.3 down with the mods you've already got. Unless ofcourse he's got most of those mods as well...

You might also consider going with a Diablo Predator programmer. A few people on here have had those Hypertechs and said they sucked big time compared to the gains you get from a Predator. Just a thought though; not attacking your Hypertech. I wish I had either or at this point, LOL!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
TruckForum Addict

Almost forgot, BBK offers an intake manifold for our trucks. Not sure on the gains though... honestly it looks exactly like the factory air intake but I'm not gonna knock it just yet. I think they're asking some outragous price though, like $800 if I remember correctly.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM

well i spent about 1250 for my kinetix intake manifold for the z so 800 doesnt sound bad. shiits so cheap for the truck. i was lookin around. i found the jet power flo servo for the 4l60e tranny which is what i think i have. that was gonna be my next question. my walbro was 2 psi higher than stock. i dont know if it will make a real difference its just the smae one i bought for my z when i replaced it. i just had the tranny rebuilt and im running royal purple. its great. my buddy has only exhaust and hes still pullin on me. i dont get it. ive changed the pulgs, coils, and wires. full tune up, and still nothing.i think it might be the altitude in this damn state. im by slc somewhere around 6000 ft. everything chokes for air out here

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 AM

by the way i found that servo on sale for 35$$$ straight from jet

Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 AM
TruckForum Addict

I'll have to check out that Jet servo. If I keep my truck I'm definately switching to Royal Purple soon and doing the servo and tranny filter at the same time.

You didn't say how much that Walbro pump cost you.

Also, what exactly did you do to your exhaust? Is it custom 3" from the headers back or 3" from the muffler back? Are you running true duals or a single inlet/dual outlet muffler? Did you retain the cats or remove them? Not sure what you've got going on there and not sure what all you know about the exhaust on these trucks. These things NEED backpressure big time. You'll lose an insane amount of torque with a 4.8 if you take both cats off and/or run duals. I only removed my stock muffler, replaced with Flowmaster 40 single inlet/dual outlet, and ran it out the right side in front of the back right tire and still lost torque. I could tell it immediately as soon asI left the muffler shop.

I'll tell you one thing though, my truck wouldn't stick to my dad's 00 Sierra(5.3) off the line, but from a 20 roll I waste that thing big time!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 AM

i paid about 220 for the walbro. you can hear that thing from about 15 ft away from the truck. its not thirsty at all. shes getting all she wants, well at least all the injectors will give her. i had him do header back but i knew about the backpressure. i got new cats and he welded 3 inch pipe from the header to the 2.25 inlet for the cats, and 3 inches back out all the way. silgle exit turndown right before the axle. its a inshop muffler. he put it on for me as a favor. it sounds incredible. hes gettin the patend on the design as we speak. heres the link for the servo. its a billet one. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...;partid=495289very interested on what you think, im racing from a stop. ill try him from a 20 roll next time. im guessing its that stupid torque management shiit

Quick Reply: so a complete newb post