Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Default SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

hey guys, i got a quick question? in the front end, are there wheel bearings or what kind of bearings go bad? the reason im wondering because when i make a slight right hand turn i have a metal on metal sqeak out the the left front. doesn't seem to do it any other time. i had the tire off this last weekend and saw what looks like a hub. do you just have to replace them and repack them. im looking for any kind of an answer because i have no idea. anything would help.
thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Whaty do you drive? think you would have to change the hub. Im pretty sure Ive seen Argon wright that they are non serviceable.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM

I just had the driver's side of my truck done a couple of months ago. They cannot be repacked. The replace the whole-shebang...hub and all.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM

If it was the bearings it would sound like a low rumble or metal on metal rubbing sound. If its a squeek it is more than likely you shocks or shock bushings. My truck had the factory shocks on it when I got it and it squeeked while turning and while going over huge bumps. I took it apart and greased the bushings, but it eventually came back. When I replaced the shocks it went away completely.

If its not the shocks and its more of a metallic rub/squeek, make sure your ENTIRE front end it greased up. Hit every zerk fitting. If that doesn't help then I would look at the bearings.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM

sorry its a 04' silverado z71. well its been squeeking for 3 weeks or so. and i'll start by lubing everything i can because this weekend i changed shocks and that didn't do anything. they were way past due. i guess if that doesn't work i'll look into getting a new hub. hopefully not cause im guessing they're not cheap.i don't drive it but once a week or so cause i've been riding my motorcycle every where. i'll keep u updated.
thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: theduck007

the reason im wondering because when i make a slight right hand turn i have a metal on metal sqeak out the the left front. doesn't seem to do it any other time.
Sounds more like an issue with the brakes to me until you use the word squeek. When you say metal on metaland it only does it when the wheels are turned to one side, sounds like the caliper or pads might be worn down crooked and scrub when pressure is applied at certain times. Or possibly something in the brake system is loose. I would check to see if the rotors are grooved even a little bit on the front or rear. If they are, definately tear them apart and see what's going on there. Make sure the pads are wearing out evenly. Sometimes when you get a bad caliper, they'll freeze up and cause one pad to wear out more than the other. Or cause only half of the pad to wear out.

If that ain't it the other guys are dead on.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:57 AM

I dont know if your truck has them but it could be a dust cover rubbing

Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM

well i haven't had a chance to look at it yet but im thinking it might be something small. its not a low rumble and i just had the brake replaced about 10,000 miles ago so hopefully its something simple. like i said it only does it on a slight turn and is a high pitch metal on metal screeching. also i have been driving it like this for2 weeks or so and it hasn't got any worse. thanks for the help, hopefully i get it figured out soon.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 PM

ok well i had a chance to look at it and nothing is rubbing and the rotors have no sign of anything. so my next question is that is there a wheel bearing in there besides the hub?? it takes a couple miles before it makes the noise so im thinkin whatever it is, it is starting to get dry and will only do it when you put a little pressure on it such as turning.
thanks.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Take your truck and put it on a jack, then take the tire and move it side to side and up and down. If it is moving at all then you need to trace down where it is moving. If the entire wheel is moving and no other part is moving on the twin arms or any part in between then take the tire off and check the hub for movement. You can see the hub looseness easier when you have the tire on and see it move. You can also see the tie-rod ends, pitman arm, and the idler arm move really easy if the tire is on. Trace down any looseness that you can see and report back here or fix the problems that you find. Another good tip is iftheinside of your wheel is dirty and you see a clean spot, line, or streak it is probably something rubbing. But don't be misslead in the way of I will fix what is rubbing, fix why it was rubbing, yet again it could be a hub going bad or a tie rod end going bad letting your wheels grind up agianst your a-arms. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!