Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Default Speakers

So what about this speaker?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218011395087
Also, how hard is it to install it my self? What all do I have to do? I am sure I could figure it out, I am generally good at figuring that type of stuff out, but I was curious as to what all I would have to do to get it to work properly and then I will research it farther. Honestly, I really don't wana have to spend $40.00+ to have best buy install it, and I would like to learn myself. How much of a difference will a notice from a boozka like this one? I have a 400W home system that I listen to music on, it has to speakers then the sub, will it beat as hard as that? Thanks, Tyler.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 PM

I don't think the link is working, so here is the description that best buy gives of the speaker:

Become the boom master with this 400W subwoofer which comes enclosed in a tube for powerful bass.

What's Included
  • [*]
Product Features
  • From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
  • Professional installation is strongly recommended for this product. Please visit your local Best Buy store for details.
  • Up to 400W peak power handling
    Along with 200W continuous power handling for rich sound.
  • Poly-paper woofer cone
    With rubber surround for a solid construction.
  • 35Hz - 250Hz frequency response
    For accurate sound reproduction.
  • 4 ohms impedance
    Conducts power evenly to keep the speaker at an appropriate level.
  • 106dB sensitivity
    Picks up highs and lows for faithful sound reproduction.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

You would definitely need to install an amplifier along with that. Your radio doesn't have near enough power to push it. Bazooka offers an amplified version that would work. Do you have the factory radio in your truck? If so, I would let a professional install it (not Best Buy)! My girlfriend years ago wanted to surprise me with a new stereo system so she borrowed my Tahoe for the day and had Best Buy put a system in it. The dumbass installer drilled a hole right through my gas tank when he mounted the amp under the rear seat. I didn't realize it till later when I sold the truck to my dad and pulled the system out. Whenever the truck had more than 1/2 a tank he smelled gas. When we pulled the tank down you could see right where the holes was for the amp there was a small hole in the tank. Best Buy wouldn't do anything b/c it was about 6 months later.

Wiring an amp to the factory stereo isn't something I would recommend for someone who doesn't have that much experience with stereo installs.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 PM

I drive a 2000 chevy 2500 single cab. Wow, that sucks and is dumb with the whole best buy thing! So I have friends that know how to do it though, so that would be ok, correct? And you would suggest one that already has a amp built into it?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

There are pro's and con's to the built in AMP Bazooka...
Pro's - compact, and less expensive
Con's - if the speaker or amp blows both are out of service.
Personally I would buy a seperate amp and the subwoofer of your choice.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM

i agree with shamrock. i would just get a separte amp and sub. do you have an aftermarket stereo? if so its easy to install, but installing amp to a factory stereo isn't something i would recommend someone with little experience doing.

and best buy sucks! well the one closest to me. geek squad has ruined 2 of my computers and ended up blaiming it on me.

Last edited by GMCSierraFan; 04-20-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Yes, I have an aftermarket head unit, so you say since I do I would probably be able to figure it out myself?. And my friend suggested me getting Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Mount 12" and then buy an amp that is anywhere between 600-800W. (I have a single cab truck) With the amps do you generally want to get less than the actually sub so you can't push it to its limit and blow it or do you generally want to get more watts on the amp than the sub?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM

yes with an aftermarket head unit it is very simple to hook up. Rockford fosgate is a very good brand. I would recommend buying an amp that equals the watts of the sub. I always try to match the RMS(continuous output) of the sub and amp.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Thank you ofor your input. I ended up buying a Rockford Fosgate p3 shallow mount (12") like I said my friend had told me. I also bought his amp (Actually I do not know the name of it) Its an 1800W amp, so it has more than enough power and he helped me install it, it really is quite simple once you've seen someone do it.

Now, my friend turned the bass down quite a bit on my head unit and my friend said "Do not turn it up past 30 and leave the bass where it is for the first month of continuis play" he said if I turn the bass up or the volume much higher than I could blow the speaker.. He said his actually caught on fire. (Its a brand new sub) So is there any truth of this to your guys's knowledge?

Thanks, Tyler.

Quick Reply: Speakers