Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

speedometer that stops working,then works

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Default speedometer that stops working,then works

Hello,

I have a 04 Silverado with 47k miles on it that has a speedometer that stops working intermitly. I am the orginal owner and this problem has come and gone many times. I work alot and have little time to work on my truck so I was just waiting for the speedo to break and stay broken before I would fix it or have it fixed.

Anyway has anyone else had a trouble like this before?

Thanks,

jsh757(new guy)

Old 12-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Default RE: speedometer that stops working,then works

the problem is internal in the cluster i recomend that you upgrage to a escalade cluster

Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 PM

i have the EXACT same problem! My works the majority of the time..but early in the mornin..or while pulling a trailer..the speedo..will go a lil haywire.

care to expand Slammed on the cluster? That's german to me! sorry.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:51 PM

I have a 2003 2500 with the same issue, found a speedometer shop in tacoma washington that can repair this for half of what the dealerships want. Took them about 2 hours to repair the problem when I took my truck in. They also repair the digital displays in the older chev trucks that go blank. Just thought you would want some more info.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 PM

just made a post in another thread about this...*new member*...mine does the same thing...did you notice if it started doin this when the weather got colder??

Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Here is some info on this issue. I have the same problem and checked further into it. This really sums up what I found to be true. I will probably order a different type for mine and get a new look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...02681&rd=1

Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 PM

There is a recall on the 2004 Silverado insturment cluster. I received my letter this week and promptly mailed the receipt from my replacement cluster to GM. Hopefully I will have $323 back by Christmas.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 AM

I have the same problem, but in my case the only thingthat works is the temp. My oil pressure goes crazy and so does my battery gauge. I havent had all the gauges working properly for about a year now. The dealer wanted 400 to fix it so that s when I decided i could live with it. I didnt even know there was a recall for the cluster until i read this thread.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: usbrowns

There is a recall on the 2004 Silverado insturment cluster. I received my letter this week and promptly mailed the receipt from my replacement cluster to GM. Hopefully I will have $323 back by Christmas.
I received the same letter earlier this week too. I have an '04 and havn't had any problems...YET. They say they will cover it for upto 7 years or 70k miles.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 PM

GM takes there sweet *** time to mail out recall ****. Didn't know about the parking break recall till my truck was on my leg. And to all those who didn't know about it 99-04 silverado's have an issue with the parking break breaking or failing.

Quick Reply: speedometer that stops working,then works