Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak in Tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Default Squeak in Tire

Hey all,

New member to the forum! I have an 05 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax. I have recently started to notice that the front driver side wheel has started to make a God awful squeak, but only when I turn to the right, and usually only when I slightly turn the wheel. I am not a very mechanically inclined individual, hence the reason I am here. So any ideas on what could be causing this?

Also, while I am here I have a question about the tire size for my truck. I have put on 285/75/16 on the truck and they have been working fine for me. There is no lift on my truck, but I am wanting just a little bigger of a tire. Can I go bigger without doing a lift? It seems that the tires I have now are so close to rubbing on the front of the wheel well in the front, the rear has plenty of clearance.

Sorry for posting two questions at once, but I am really curious about both of them. Thanks for any replies.

Drake

Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like it maybe time for a set of brakes. this is not real uncommon if they get worn to the point of almost "hitting" the squeker and the rotor starts to warp a little. a bad brake caliper will do this also.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Jack up that wheel and give it a shake. Seen/heard wheel bearings make god awful sounds.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM

I am pretty confident that it is not the brake in that tire. It makes no noise when i press on the brake. I am thinking what acnas said, that it is probably in the wheel bearings. I assume this is something that I should just take it in and get looked at.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yes a wheel bearing will definitely make noise when turning and not going straight at the start of it going bad. I would agree with acnas. I just did them on my 2002 HD truck and it would only make noise turning right. It was probably just one side, but figured the other wasn't long for squaeking either so I replaced them both and it's perfectly quiet now. Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks Shamrock for putting my mind at ease. Is this something that is pretty pricey to have replaced or can you get it done most anywhere? I travel with my job, so I am always somewhere where I don't know who is who. I think the best bet is to probably just find a Chevy dealer and do it. Thanks again.

Can anyone help me out with the second question I posted? In regards to the tire size for my truck. Thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I think the tire will rub in the front if you go any larger. You could do a little torsion key adjusting to clear larger tires if you wanted. Especially if it already sits alot higher in the rear. Alot of people put leveling kits on them to run larger tires.
Back to the front bearings...the dealer is going to kill you on the parts and labor for that matter. They are very easy to replace and the cheapest I found them were at O'reilly's for $165.00 each. It took me about an hour to put them in.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Is there anywhere that you can go to find out how to change them yourself? As I mentioned I am not very mechanically inclined, so I am sure I would screw it up!!! Would my best bet be to just buy the Chilton book for the truck? Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Whatever you do, don't take it to a dealer for wheel bearings, they will rape you. Any local garage can do that job. Depending on your confidence in your ability, it is a job you can do yourself. Do you have a buddy who can help? Get a case of beer and make a Saturday out of it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 PM

If you are in Northern California then I would do it for you for a whole lot less than the dealer. (I had to quit drinking while on my meds) I have done them before.

Just an offer.

Quick Reply: Squeak in Tire