Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Stalling...What the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Unhappy Stalling...What the heck?

I looked all through this forum and am unable to find a similiar problem, so hopefully some of you guys can help me answer this question.
I have a '98 Silverado with 160,000 miles on it.
I had been driving on the highway for about an hour, cruise control on, when the truck just quit running. After I pulled it to the side of the road I tried to start it. It would turn over but would not fire. I could hear the fuel pump make the "whirring" sound when I turned the key to accesory power (I replaced fuel pump/filter last year), but didn't do too much more because a police officer happened to be driving by and offered me a ride home, which I accepted (kinda in the middle of no where here) so I called a tow truck and he towed my truck to town.
Later on that evening I went to the shop where my truck had been towed to go get my lunch kit out of it and decided to try and start the truck...sure enough it starts right up. I have been driving the truck for a month now with no more stalling problems, but am slightly nervous that I may be stranded somewhere in the future if it stalls again.
I guess I am looking for any ideas on why it may have stalled and any type of diagnostics I might be able to perform.

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Wow that s a good one! When you changed your fuel pump what brand did you use? Do you remember how much gas you had in the tank when it stalled? You pump sits at about the 1/4 mark in the tank and relies on the gas in the tank to cool it. It isn't good to run them for long periods of time under 1/4 full, it will cause more heat build up in your pump and that could lead to premature failure. Did you notice if the check engine light came on before it stalled? It could have been a sensor like the temperature sensor that could cause it too. I had one do the same thing and when the tow truck got there it fired right back up. I still had them tow it to my shop and found the temp. sensor to be faulty. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but that is difficult to diagnose without more information. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM

I am pretty sure it was an AC Delco fuel pump, there was a half a tank of gas when it stalled and the check engine light did not come on.

If the check engine light did come on would this be an indication it could have been the temp. sensor?

It was also a super hot day (in the high 90's) I don't know if this matters or not.
One of my friends mentioned something about a "vapour lock" when the outdoor temp. gets hot.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would run a scanner on it to see if there are any stored codes. Any auto parts store should do it for free if you don't have access to one.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
TruckForum Addict

My dad's 90 model did that too. We narrowed it down to a bad distributor. After we changed injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, temp sensor and a bunch of other stuff. The only diffference it did also was backfire and loose power at times or just up and stalled.... of course the motor had 278,000 miles on it. Hard miles.