Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Steering stiff after greasing fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Beginner
Default Steering stiff after greasing fittings

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z71. I hadn't greased my fittings in a while (couple of years, at least), so I decided to grease them yesterday. Because it had been so long, I gave them 3-5 pumps (depending on the fitting). I did what I believe are the upper ball joints on the front, and another fitting that's in-between the two wheels but closer to the passenger side. Since then, my steering has stiffened considerably. Could this mean that I over-greased the fittings? And if so, is there a way to remove some of the grease?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Beginner

I should also mention that it almost feels like the e-brake is partially stuck. I had it on while I was changing my oil, but it seemed to release fine. Light went off and the pedal went all the way back up. I re-engaged it and re-released it to see if it would make a difference, but no dice. I'm very confused.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 AM

The emergency brake would be easy enough to check. Park it on a hill and see if it will roll when out of gear or jack up the rear wheels and see if they are binding. I've never heard of grease fittings being overfilled and binding the joint. Usually the grease will flow out of the rubber boot on the fitting to relieve the pressure. Maybe you could press on the rubber boots to see if they are tight or hard. Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm shooting in the dark. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Administrator

As SlimJim said
You can't over grease a steering or ball joint fitting... You usually keep pumping the grease gun until you see grease ooz out of the rubber boot.

Was your truck on jack stands during your grease job? Did you do the steering test in the air or was the truck stationary on the ground?

If you have never done a grease job in a couple of years. I would be concerned of some possible warn ball joints or steering linkages.
You can check them yourself or get a mechanic to check them. This is an extreme safety issue.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Beginner

I had the front wheels up on ramps when changing the oil and greasing the fittings; I did not have it on jacks at any time. I noticed the steering issue (which is also making a rubbing/humming sound) the next time I backed out of my driveway. It became more difficult to steer the sharper I turned it. The rubbing/humming sound coupled with the increased acceleration I suddenly need to make it go forward, especially when turning, led me to believe that it might be a parking issue. But the issue seems to be coming from the front only. Are parking brakes only engaged on the rear wheels?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Yep, all parking brakes I'm familiar with are on the rear wheels. Have you checked your power steering fluid and the belt driving the PS pump?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Beginner

I haven't, but those are good ideas. Could either of those cause a rubbing/humming sound while moving and/or make it more difficult to accelerate?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I would suggest at that point when you hear the rubbing and humming noise. Stop. get out and start looking for something out of the ordinary.

Use all your senses, is something smelling burnt ie: power steering belt burning because of a slipping belt or PS seizing pump.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Well, the idiot of the day award goes to THIS GUY. Turns out I unknowingly bumped the 4-wheel drive button. Turned it off and everything is fine. Gahhhhh....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Cheap fix! It happens to all of us. Thanks for letting us know.

Quick Reply: Steering stiff after greasing fittings