Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Straight pipes..?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Default Straight pipes..?

Ok hey everybody im new here. I gotta 2000 Sierra Z71 5.3 and Im currently running a Magnaflow muffler. As far as loudness, it aint doin it for me so I think i want to try straight pipes.
What if I cut the muffler off and put a Y pipe on there in place of it?
Would it be terribly loud?
Would it decrease backpressure too much?
How would MPG's be affected?

Also, I got dual 2.5 pipes going out the back into 3" tips.

Need some help on this quick!

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Default RE: Straight pipes..?

It may be a little too loud, but it really depends on what you like. I have flowmaster 40 and like the sound alot. It also depends on what the cops are like in your area. Around here, straight pipes will get you a ticket all day long. I also use m truck for long trips and the sound is not annoying for that.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Yes, I understand. I couldnt deal with it if I did a bunch of interstate driving, but normally I dont. Just a bunch of Mississippi country roads and a little bit of town. I dont really know what cops would think. Id just refrain from revving it up if I saw a cop around.
Another thing I have to think about is inspection...doubt it will pass.

The only reason I consider straights is beacuse I am currently on a very low budget because Im trying to purchase tires.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Deifnately won't pass inspection. Just flowmaster 40 or 30, maybe glasspacks will pass there, you just have to check the laws. You can save money though as you already have the pipes, just need to modify the muffler. Also I forgot to say that straight pipes will decrease backpressure alot, so lowend will suffer, but top end would be really good.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: smoke20

Deifnately won't pass inspection. Just flowmaster 40 or 30, maybe glasspacks will pass there, you just have to check the laws. You can save money though as you already have the pipes, just need to modify the muffler. Also I forgot to say that straight pipes will decrease backpressure alot, so lowend will suffer, but top end would be really good.
hmmm.. ok thanks.

Would you happen to know how much a FM 44, 40, or 30 would cost?
Whats the cheapest muffler they make in a 3" I 2.5 D.O. ?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 PM

You could do what I did on my car just put a dump right befor the Y pipe. When you want it loud you just open the dump. I put one with a butterfly valve that workes with a switch inside the car.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM

rxsteven, how much did that dump cost you? im hearing rumors about smog inspections being started in tn so the cats may have to go back on my truck

Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Just a reg. dump was like 50 bucks I think, I got it at a local speed shop theres another name for it that I cant remember. But they'll know what youre talking about. The electric one was a hook up for doing the same thing to a buds car. I hope they dont do that in Mississippi I keep an address there just for plates. My truck is the only thing I got with cats and thats just because I just got it.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 AM

they are called exhaust cut-outs

Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 AM

The Flowmasters will run anywere from 80 to just over 100. They arnt bad. I have the Delta 40 on my truck and i love the sound and everything i got out of it. Summitracing as one with the single in duel out Delta 40 for 83 bucks.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Theres the link if you want to check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight pipes..?