Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

strait axel conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Default strait axel conversion?

Well after 8 krappy months of my rig sitting in the driveway it is back on the road and I can start making more forward progress on the project. When I bought it three years ago it wes a bucket, and after meny busted and bloody knuckels it is coming along but far from done. I've always liked seeing these body styles sitting up nice and stout especially with a striaght axel. Has anybody or anyone you know ever undergone such a project. I have a basic idea of what would be involved but would rather have some insight from someone who has done it and might be able to give me a heads up on any unexpected headaches.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: strait axel conversion?

Ihelped a buddy withone but it was a long time ago and I don't remember alot about it so I can't help with specifics. Although I have a website in mindthat is awesome with vehicles like yours and it has a ton of swap parts as well as other really cools stuff. You didn't say so I am assuming by the look of the front its a late 80's early 90's model. I posted the link to the site and if you notice its opened to the conversion. What you are opening is the installation guide, this will tell you alot (read the whole thing) and then the second link is for you to view the kit. When you click the one to view the kit choose the one that fits your truck. You want the 32.5 spring pad axle. I also put that link (3rd link).

The Installation Guide.
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/Prod...U_60010ifs.pdf
This is the page to view the kit.
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/Prod...dCategory=1555
Axle link.
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/Prod...;idproduct=476

Now you can aquire these items cheapier from a junk yard if you wish as far as the axle and some other parts go. I just posted the last link so you know what you are looking at. Like I said its been so long I don't remember enough to be correct. I remember it required some worktoget it right.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Right on I apericare the info. I haven't checked the links yet but will this evening when I have the time to sit down and actually give it a good look.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the great info. I now have a real clear idea of how to do it and the cost of it. When you helped your buddy what type of axels did he use, how did it turn out, was it a fairly smooth running swap ( if you can remember). It sounds like a fairly challengeing but not that bad of a project, especialy with two people.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 PM

Hey I just called him to check heused a Dana 60 which is what I believe offroad unlimited has. It turned out great, he did it in conjuntion with a 8" or 10" lift I know he ran 40" swamppers in the mud and a Pro Comp in the regular terrain and for street duty. Both on a 16" rim. We didn't have a lot of hitches except the normal BS like missing a bolt here and there and they senthim two of the same brackets so he had to wait till the next weekend to start. It took us 3 days because that weekend I had to leave early one of days for a wedding. Really other than the minor crap you run into modifying a vehicle incorrect parts and missing tools it was fine. The end result was great hes had the truck like that for 2 years of course you have to consider his truck is an 05 bought in Dec. of 04 so it was only 4 months old when it was coverted meaning no rusted bolts. All you will have to do if they are rusted is use PB Blaster or WD40 the night before and let it soak in, trust me doing this makes life easier. Now as for the big question yes he is very satisfied with it the truck is set up for major trail and mud duty it has great articulation with the straight axle. The truck has the 6.0 if I remember correctly. There was only a few mods needed (to existing hardware on the truck, don't remember what though) to complete. Ride quailty is kind of a bummer though as you definately feel bumps now and pot holes in the road or much more noticable as the IFS handles that better. But hey its a truck. Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Well, if I want a smooth ride I'll just go cruzin in my 82 Monty Carlo (72k orig. miles and one of the cleanest in my nek of the woods). There's nothing like bouncing around in a monster truck as my oldest dauter calls it, even if it is on the road.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:06 PM

I looked at those ORU kits, if I were to put a Dana 60 up front, shouldn't I put one in the rear also? or does it really matter as long as the gears are the same? I have a 94 excab Z71 that is quickly going down hill, I figure if I fix it I might as well mod it out. Only thing is, this is my first 4X4 and I really need some guidence. I have a fabrication back ground, so the cutting, welding, grinding, ect won't be a problem, I guess I need help with the technical stuff. I am wanting something that is farly bullet proof and reliable. Also, what all is involved with putting a chevy axle in it instead of a ford dana. Or is it one of those things, ford chevy it works so why worry about it?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM

It all depends on your transfer case. Many people put ford dana 60's on their chevy's because the pumpkin is on the same side the transfer case comes so you won't need to get a different transfer case, oh and they are high pinion. Im not really sure but i think its on the driver side. For the rear its better getting a chevy corporate 14 bolt(full floater). These are as strong as the dana 60 if not stronger. Some of them already come with disc brakes if not they sell conversion kits. You could find one of these fairly cheap. The ones on the 02-07classic HD's *** with the corporate 14 bolt and disc brakes. I saw one on the junkyard for about $400 already with 4.10 gears and limited slip.