Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Beginner
Default Stuck in park

Hello,
I'm working on a 98 GMC Sierra with automatic trans/ 350 V8. The shifter on the column will not move out of the park position. I found the shift mechanism on the column was broken. Seemed like a simple enough repair so I installed a new one and I still can't get it to shift out of park. So I looked online. Consensus was that the brake switch (on the pedal) was the most likely cause. According to what I read online that switch should have 12vdc at all times on pin 2 (orange wire). I removed the switch and checked for power on the orange wire. No power there so I checked the fuse which was good. So I figured I must have a break in the wire leading from the fuse to that switch. I ran a wire from 12vdc directly to the switch at the orange wire and jumped that to the white wire to eliminate switch as possible problem. I also actuated the switch with a small screwdriver to hold it in the closed position to test the circuit. Still will not release shifter. The shift mechanism cost me $60, a new brake switch cost $10. I left the interlock solenoid connected but the actuator arm off in case the interlock solenoid was bad. I figured that would eliminate that as a possible cause. Supposedly the next likely culprit is the ignition switch at $100. What do you guys think?
How can I defeat the interlock?
Thanks
Jcris