Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Supercharger VS Heads and Cam???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Default Supercharger VS Heads and Cam???

what do you guys think is better? a supercharger or heads and cam?
Whats the price of each one? horsepower you can expect? or..??
thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: Supercharger VS Heads and Cam???

Well, I'll have to wait for either SC_Chevy_Lover or BigTexasChevy to chime in, but they've told me there's a company that you can buy a set of heads that are ported and polished and send your old heads back into them.
Cost wise? I'd say definetly heads and a cam are going to be cheaper. You're most likely looking right around 5 grand for a supercharger assembly, plus installation (if you need to have it done by a shop).
Those LS motors are pretty responsive to bolt ons. I remember seeing in some magazine they did heads (forgive me, but I forget exactly what kind), a cam (forgot specs), injectors (forgot what size), a fast intake, and little other stuff here and there. On the engine dyno I remember it made around 450ish. Not bad out of a 325 cubic inch motor.
Power wise, you'd probably be happier with a supercharger. It all depends on what your budget is.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Heads and cam will certainly be cheaper. I will have to do a little research to find out exactly how much hp/torque you can get from heads/cam. If you have the money, hell do both! If not, supercharper is the easiest bolton that will provide massive amounts of power increase. We can run 5-7psi of boost on our trucks with stock heads and internals. Remember, every 1psi of boost=10% in horsepower.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM

I agree heads and cam are cheaper. A supercharger can get you up to 50% more horsepower than stock, but that is max I think, plus you will be pushing it on PSI. This is also the best I have heard, not the average.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 PM

thats some interesting info...
i will appreciate if u guys can hook me up with a heads and cam website, i think ill go for heads and cam.. i just dont know where to get them, and how much hp/torque gains i can expect... or if porting my heads is better or cheaper, hook me up with a website where i can get that job done.. thanks again

Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: smoke20

I agree heads and cam are cheaper. A supercharger can get you up to 50% more horsepower than stock, but that is max I think, plus you will be pushing it on PSI. This is also the best I have heard, not the average.
Smoke, there are plenty of guys that are running 7psi of boost on the stock 5.3L with no problems whatsoever. Anymore than that you stand the risk of internal failure. So 50-70% increase in power is obtainable.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM

A nice set of dart heads should set your truck off nice.
http://www.dartheads.com/And some lunati cams http://www.holley.com/division/Lunati.asp#28also see http://www.dougherbert.com/lunaticams-m-309.html
I have found it is always better to talk with the dealer/supplier and talk with them and tell them what you want so they get it right. For a truck I would go for a low to mid range cam (Just my Opinion).
Here is a website for crane camshttp://www.cranecams.com/I don't know to much about them but another option none the less.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:30 PM

thanks TEXASEDITION... im looking at your websites right now... nice info..

Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM

If any body is looking for a supercharger definatly look into ProCharger.. It has the best HP:$$$ ratio I have seen yet. I just got the info in the mail and it says for my 02' 5.3L I would be running 8-9 psi through a 2 core air to air intercooler giving you a 60-65% power gain (stock injectors, stock/ full timimg). There is also an option to upgrade your intercooler to a 3 core for $345. cooler air = additional HP... all in all with the 3 core intercooler, 3 year warranty ($49!), and supercharger (everything included) your lookin at $5289. No holes in your oilpan either.. all you gotta do is change the oil in the supercharger every 6000 miles.. This is definatly the kit I will go with when I decided to SC my truck (when I have something else for my DD). Hope this is helpful for somebody.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM

SC_CHEVY - maybe I misread then, I was going from memory, and you know how bad mine is. By the way, where is my dog?

Quick Reply: Supercharger VS Heads and Cam???