Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Synthetic Oils?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Default Synthetic Oils?

alright guys, lets hear your opinons on oils

Amsoil or Royal Purple 5w30?

thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Synthetic Oils?

I am running amsoil in both my truck and my wifes car. So far its been working great.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Funny you should ask... I just read an article today that claims better mpg from synthetic. I'm thinking of giving it a shot. http://www.truckmoxie.com/tenarticle...237&sid=18

Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
TruckForum Addict

I am not sure if im getting any better mpg but i know on a friends 2000 silverado he had dropped from 20 to 18 mpg and then he switched to amsoil and then his mileage went back up to 20 mpg. So it helped him.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 PM

There was a write up a while back in one of the truck performance magazines, and switching the motor oil, trans fluid, and gear oil to synthetic, they picked up something like 8-10hp on the dyno.

I've been running AMSOIL ever since and have no complaints. Based on the reading I've done about the tests they run - I'm sold on the stuff. They publicize tests that no one else does, which tells me they back their product. And in some of the tests, they're not at the absolute top of the list, but they clearly dominate in the tests shown.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

i just switched to royal purple fluids and i can feel the difference, way smoother than the usual off the shelf fluids, and i feels a little more jumpy (acceleration wise) i would definatley suggest royal purple but i have not tried amsoil so my opinion may be bias but i really like royal purple if you can afford it i would suggest it

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM

I have been running Castrol High Mileage in my truck for a long time, since I've had it and I know a long time before that too. Anyway's I have been fine running this stuff. I know that it is not good to swith back and forth on oil. I wonder if switching to either amsoil or royal purple would do anything for me now? Or should I switch to just Mobil 1 or just stay the same. I don't mind switching but it has 155,000 on it so do you think it will do much good now? Let me know what you guys think and which one should I do??

Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM

i just switchedmy rear diff, transfer case, and engine oil, out for royal purple and it has 107k on it and i can still feel the difference, but if you do change the oils i would suggest making sure that whoever does it gets all of the old stuff out

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Maybe I will switch to Amsoil. I am going to start doing the oil change myself because its freakin expensive anywhere else. So how can I make sure I get all the old out. Is there something I can run through it or what. Or just let it drain for a long time. Plus I am going to be taking it to thedealer this week (hopefully) to get the tranny and rear end serviced, could they just put this stuff in it.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 PM

This is a link to a thread on www.ls1truck.com. It has all of the research I did and has comparisons to Redline, Royal Purple, etc.

Synthetic Discussion on www.ls1truck.com

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils?