Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   TBS (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/tbs-3923/)

smoke20 07-29-2007 09:09 AM

TBS

I got my TBS installed yesterday (thankyou Blackhorse) and all I can say is ........HOLY****!! I would never have guessed it would cut 1 second off my 0-60. actually 1.003 seconds. I only had time for 1 run, and no time for other tests, but I am impressed.I will post more as I get it. I have had exhaust issues as you know so that may account for the drastic difference, but hey it works.

SouthBayZ71 07-29-2007 10:02 AM

RE: TBS

Nice ...a low cost mod that took off a full second.

Congrats!

72charger 07-29-2007 11:04 AM

AH MAN! Now I want one!

hunt4game29 07-29-2007 12:17 PM

Which one was it that you ended up getting?

Grey Ghost 07-29-2007 05:32 PM

How do you like the Transdapt TBS? I'm trying to decide which TBS to install. I understand that the Transdapt doesn't whistle and that sounds good to me. I looking at installing Edelbrock (#65022) headers, Magnaflow Cats (#93419), Magnaflow exhaust (#15841). I am considering Stan's Headers ceramic coated tri-y's, but I have to justify the cost. Does anybody have a performance throttle body they are happy with?

smoke20 07-29-2007 06:38 PM

I got the trans dapt and it is great. No whistle, but a little "whoosh" noise if you really listen, but only if you try to hear it. If the radio is on, not noticeable at all. I just put it in so further tests will tell. I have edlebrock headers and like them, but get your exhaust done first (single in dual out). I would forget the cats as they will help little and you can get more than free enough in other areas. Nice to have you here as well. I am glad to see other 05' trucks so I can quit being the guinea pig.

archerynut36 07-29-2007 07:51 PM

where do you get the trans dapt

hunt4game29 07-29-2007 09:02 PM

Man smoke20 we were the only 05 now there are like 4 or 5.

Grey Ghost 07-30-2007 12:12 PM

Thanks for the fast response. Did you get the Torque Curve or Smooth bore TBS? I'm looking at the Torque Curve. Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

smoke20 07-30-2007 12:17 PM

smooth bore, and I bought it from blackhorse.

Grey Ghost 07-30-2007 01:15 PM

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

chevy112488 07-30-2007 05:32 PM

i have the torque curve and im satisfied with it, so i guess both work well

78chev2bnice 07-30-2007 10:54 PM

I have the airaid poweraid and It gave me very noticble milage gains:D. Im very happy I tried to test it out.

smoke20 07-31-2007 08:08 PM

Yes I have gotten milage gains as well, not sure exactly how much, but at least 1.

MrLM7 07-31-2007 08:15 PM

I got the Torque Curve from Summit racing for $50... About 1 mpg and a slight whistle, but only under acceleration...

smoke20 08-01-2007 07:49 PM

Ok, another update. On the way to work this morning it was@ 81 degrees, and running in traffic at 70 mph I gained a ittle more that 2 mpg, and coming home@ 95 degrees at same speed I gained a little less than 2.

dawgsrule 10-24-2007 06:51 PM

what is the difference between the torque curve and the smooth bore
are they any different in price

SouthBayZ71 10-24-2007 07:18 PM

The general consensus is:

Torque curve = low-mid gains
Smooth Bore= mid-high gains

Same price. I got mine from summit racing, as did a few others on here ...about $52 w/ shipping.

MFG: Trans Dapt

popo 10-24-2007 09:24 PM

me too. got the torque curve and am pretty please w/ MPG Gain

72charger 10-24-2007 11:59 PM

If you go on Summit Racing and look up the Trans Dapt throttle body spacers for our trucks. They have a description of both the smooth bore and the torque curve. The smooth bore is designed to produce a mild gain and the torque curve is supposed to be a much better gain. It's basically like stage 1 and stage 2.... The rpm range that the power comes in doesn't have anything to do with them.

jcbst12 10-25-2007 08:08 AM

I wouldn't go by a description tho. Think about the physics behind it. 1. Neither TBS increases the volume of air, just the velocity. 2. Spinning the air through a velocity stack (cause thats basically what it is just a smaller one) will increase the velocity of air at lower rpms. The downside is that the higher the rpms get, the less the spinning air benefits the engine as it becomes as much of a bottle neck as a benefit. Its not really getting much more air at high rpms as it would if it wasn't there. Think about it, the throttle bore needs as much "room" as possible to pull air into the engine at high rpms. The air hits the "screw" of the TBS and the path of the air changes from straight forward to a spinning motion while moving forward which decreases the energy of the air by just moving forward, but the air in return is now being funneled into the engine. It balances itself out so to speak at high rpms. 3. The smooth bore will increase the velocity over the entire rpm range, but it does not have the funnel effect so it does not "ram" the air into the engine at low rpms as much as the torque curve TBS will. As the rpms increase the TBS consistantly helps the air flow into the engine in the same way a velocity stack does, but it does not bottleneck the air as much as the torque curve TBS would at high rpms (if at all). [The velocity stack theory being that it gives the air more chance to speed up before it is dispersed though the intake while "evening out" the flow of air.] 4. My theory is that both produce the same gains, but the torque curve is mostly at the lower - to mid rpms while the smooth bore would be more consistant across the board with not as much of gain right off of idle and more on higher rpms. 5. Am I blowing smoke up your asses? No, I put way too much thought into this as I've had a TBS on three vehicles now. First one was my Nissan where I went from smooth to torque curve, then I had a torque curve on my 91' GMC and a smooth bore on my 99' Silverado. Does that mean I'm 100% right, no but I damn sure think Im close! Ha ha.

Cracker 10-25-2007 10:07 AM

The velocity stack is probably the item I could have done without. It is just a funnel with the idea of a smoother flow than the irregular surface of the throttle body. I should have used the money to by a spacer.

jcbst12 10-25-2007 11:03 AM

Where is the velocity stack on your truck? Right in front of the TB?

seb37 10-25-2007 05:00 PM

yes

Cracker 10-25-2007 08:38 PM

It is shaped like a slightly warped funnel with 2 large openings. There is a lip that fits around the filter side of the TB to keep it from being sucked into the blade. The intake tube slides over it and holds it in place.

smoke20 10-25-2007 09:18 PM

Jcbst12 - OK, so this brings up an idea I had a few months ago. What if you were to move the throttle body valve as close to the air filter as possible, that way the air would have plenty of time to smoothe out and increase speed before it hit the cylinders? It would have 2 times as much tube to travel past the TB. Any ideas on this? Someone able to give it a try? I just don't have time, just ideas.

seb37 10-25-2007 09:29 PM

i would think the throttle response would be greatly affected

smoke20 10-25-2007 09:33 PM

Throttle response may be better, but what about power? I have instant throttle response now after the reprogram.

seb37 10-25-2007 09:38 PM

i don't think it would be better, there would be a delay from the time the throttle blades opened and then the air traveled through the tubing to the intake

smoke20 10-25-2007 09:45 PM

Do you think the delay would be longer than normal? I would expect a slight but barely noticeable delay, then possibly more power due to smoother flow, especially after the gain I saw after just adding the TBS.

seb37 10-25-2007 09:54 PM

Yeah, but your talking like a 1 1/2 to 2ft difference

smoke20 10-25-2007 09:57 PM

Yes I understand the length difference, so what are you saying?

seb37 10-25-2007 10:09 PM

I believe I already said it, it would be a negative affect you would already have gas a be waiting for air

smoke20 10-25-2007 10:28 PM

But there would be air there already, and as soon as the extra gas was added extra air would flow. So I see no negative affect, and little if any delay. So no you have not already said it. I am just throwing up an idea to which no definative proof against has been shown, so unless you have tried it don't shoot it down, think outside the box man. We are looking for things no one else has tried.

seb37 10-25-2007 10:59 PM

You asked for ideas and i was given you my thoughts. Sorry, that you didn't care for what I had to say. I would also think that the folks over at GM R/D Dept might have tried it

jcbst12 10-26-2007 08:01 AM

I researched the whole "put the MAF sensor as close to the TB as possible" idea and from what I gathered, I believe the length of the intake tube and the distance between the TB and the MAF is the "ideal" setup. The MAF works best when placed as far away from the TB as possible, it gives plenty of air as a "buffer" for the engine to use until the "ideal" settings are made in the ECU and made to the engine. Also it is best to keep the MAF as far away from engine heat as possible too. If it is too close the sensor will not be as accurate and in turn the engine will not run correctly. Also the lack of a "buffer" would cause irratic idle and a rougher acceleration. Its like someone throwing too many tennis balls at you at one time and trying to catch them all at once, if you had time to set the first ones down (the buffer) you could prepare youself for the next couple and so on. (Matter of fact those air duct things that branch off of the factory intake act as a silencer and help this "buffer" effect). So what about placing it farther away, great idea for efficiency right? If the "buffer" effect is too big there will be a considerable drop in throttle response. It would feel like the Torque Management system kicked on full force. Natuarally because it would be like trying to breathe through a 1inch, foot long pipe and then try breathing through a 1", 10 feet long garden hose, in a non-preverse way, you'd have to suck harder. Lol. The buffer being too big (getting back to the tennis balls) causes inefficient running of the engine, like catching one ball at a time with 30 seconds in between, takes longer to catch them all. (Takes longer for the ECU to make changes to the system under sudden acceleration). So now the engine works harder to pull in air AND the throttle response is suffered due to the bigger buffer effect, it would be like driving a Ford! Lol. No seriously it would suffer either way. Adding a up to a foot might not hurt, adding more than that or taking away some length prob would. Increasing the tube diameter by 1" or so would be ok, but obviosuly shrinking it would hurt your performance. I dunno, sounds like a good theory. I got this from reading up on the way fuel injection calcualtions work and from reading up on engine mods.

skobiak 01-03-2008 07:00 PM

I have a quick question about the TBS. I picked up one from Jeg's, and I am trying to install it. Has anyone had any issues with trying to remove the factory studs in the intake manifold, or with the intake tube interfering with the fan shroud or the plastic cover that says "vortec" on it. Any info would be great.

smoke20 01-03-2008 07:07 PM

Both of those can be common. If you have trouble with the studs, you can grab the end with a pair of vice grips and loosen it. If you have a CAI then tend to rub the fan shroud, but you can trim the end of the tube to get a good fit.

skobiak 01-03-2008 09:03 PM

Thanks, I'll try again.......another day. I was worried about breaking something. I noticed in the jeg's catlog they say not for use with fipk type air intake. I see a number of people have both so I guess that is like the "changing exhaust can damage the engine" myth. Thanks again.

smoke20 01-04-2008 09:57 PM

You can just trim it a little, or leave it be. I think a few here let it be and had no issues just leaving the tube alone. Letus know how it works out.