Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Default thermostat question

Does any body know if the mr gasket 160 stat will work on my truck.advanced said it wont work and a smaller one(160 vs 205 oem) would throw my emissions off.what the hell does the cooling system have to do with the emission system.

Last edited by 20''strong; 03-19-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Not worth getting IMO, but it isn't going to affect anything emissions-wise.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 PM

I agree. Stay away from the 160. Just a waste of money unless you're having overheating probs.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 AM

If the exhaust is not an issue for you then you might well ignore it, but make sure that if it is aging, then you better got it off you. The heater box air intake also can be obnoxious at times risking the entry of deadly gases to the passenger seats...

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
Not worth getting IMO, but it isn't going to affect anything emissions-wise.

The tstat has EVERYTHING to do with emmissions.....if the engine cannot reach operating temp cause there is a lower temp tstat then not only is your fuel mileage going to suffer but emmissions will be higher due to the richer fuel condition in the engine cause of the cooler temp....REMEMBER guys and gals its all relative to each other all those systems rely on each other to work correctly.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

So the computer doesn't correct for anything?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
So the computer doesn't correct for anything?

yes and no the computer has parameters set for diffrent conditions ie temp, throttle % ect....the reason the engine has a certain temp tstat is because that is the "range" that the engine performs at its "optimum" ie fuel mileage. HP ect....its real simple...what does your engine do when you start it up in the morning?????.............it runs at a higher RPM and RICHER fuel ratio to bring the temp up to "optimum"....if you put a lower temp tstat in you will ALWAYS be stuck in "warm up"....ie more fuel usage= higher emissions and could "POSSIBLY" trigger a CEL.....hope this sheds a little light on the subject for you all

Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
yes and no the computer has parameters set for diffrent conditions ie temp, throttle % ect....the reason the engine has a certain temp tstat is because that is the "range" that the engine performs at its "optimum" ie fuel mileage. HP ect....its real simple...what does your engine do when you start it up in the morning?????.............it runs at a higher RPM and RICHER fuel ratio to bring the temp up to "optimum"....if you put a lower temp tstat in you will ALWAYS be stuck in "warm up"....ie more fuel usage= higher emissions and could "POSSIBLY" trigger a CEL.....hope this sheds a little light on the subject for you all
True and not true.

The stock thermostat does allow the engine to operate within an optimum range. A lot of guys use a 160 degree t-stat because they think running cooler is better. It also allows you some more flexibility in tuning. There have been a lot of arguments on whether they run better cooler, but it's been proven that the GenIII's run better at 210 degrees or so than they do at lower temps.

You will not however "always be stuck in warm up". A lower temperature thermostat simply opens sooner. It's still going to reach the normal 210 degrees under typical conditions - it's just going to take longer to get there.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:05 PM

We could sit and argue this for days.....but that is what the forums are for so others can post their "opinions" myself included and others can make a decision based on the info provided .........if I am wrong please SHOW-ME (sorry its a MISSOURI thing) i would like to have the correct info so I am not steering people in the wrong direction.....after 10 yrs being an auto mechanic I learn something new ALMOST every time I open this forum..........................I think I may invest in a 160 tstat and run a little test "just to see".................I will get off my soap box now

Last edited by chrisbmo2000; 03-21-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM

the tuning ALONG with the tstat is probably the best way to go....I had missed the tune in my other posts and had not really even thought about it untill you posted it DamnYankee

Quick Reply: thermostat question