Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Thermostat swap questions (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/thermostat-swap-questions-4270/)

SouthBayZ71 08-24-2007 11:26 AM

Thermostat swap questions

Hi all, I'm looking into putting in a 160 degree thermostat ....got a few questions:

1) I've got the manual and read about replacing it ...but in real world terms ...how hard is it to do?

2) How much of a difference does this mod make?

3) Do I need to get re-tuned again ...and spend umpteen days hoping to hear back from Charlie Wheatly ...great results, but don't get me started on his customer service. lol

Cracker 08-24-2007 11:36 AM

RE: Thermostat swap questions

Not hard at all. You will need at least 2 gallons of fluid to replace what falls out. When I changed mine I removed the air intake, unbolted the cap(located on the passenger side front of the motor), Killed the grass under the truck, and installed the new T stat.

I did many mods at the same time....I don't know about performance......Ultimately, a cool engine is a healthy engine.

Retuning may be nessesary because you have electric fans. The sensors will need to be adjusted to turn on your fans at a lower temp.

Also, I went to 180 not 160.....I am Hypertech programmed and the program does not go lower.

jcbst12 08-24-2007 11:56 AM

Going to 160 isn't worth it anyways when you consider gas milage (an d emissions if you care). 180 allows the engine to run cooler but still keep it in a healthy operating temp range to get good power/mpg.

SouthBayZ71 08-24-2007 12:06 PM

So,it sounds like the160 would be counter productive.... back to the auto parts store. lol

Cracker 08-24-2007 01:36 PM

Nascar - optimun operating temp......210!!!

smoke20 08-24-2007 03:49 PM

A couple guys on here use 160 t-stats, and have had no issues and alot of improvement, you may want to check with popo or MrLM7, I can't remember which.

As far as what nascar uses, they are also running 800 HP

legacy 08-24-2007 04:34 PM

I got the 160 degree thermostat and have had no problems with it, but i do live in Mass. and havent tried to pass inspections yet....

Argon 08-24-2007 06:01 PM

A cooler engine uses more fuel

72charger 08-24-2007 07:22 PM

I talked to one guy on CarDomain who has the 160* thermostat in his VHO and he said there is hardly any differencein normal operating temp and performance. He said it wasn't worth it.

Cracker 08-24-2007 08:54 PM

a cooler engine is NOT more efficient? Is it the density factor?

smoke20 08-24-2007 09:38 PM

cooler denser air, more fuel, more power. If you take it easy, better milage.

Argon 08-25-2007 05:20 AM

The ecm monitors engine temp (among everything else)...Remember...no choke....cold,the engine has to have more fuel just as your choke did...the engine runs most efficient hot

72charger 08-25-2007 08:55 AM

That makes sense. So really if we want to optimize are cooling system we should maybe look at getting abetter, more race inspiredradiator, and electric cooling fans.

Argon 08-25-2007 10:30 AM

electric fans help a lot..but i gauran-f'n-tee ya,your dropping mpg by putting cold stats in

smoke20 08-25-2007 10:41 AM

does anybody make a selectable t-stat? or adjustable? If not then they should.

MrLM7 08-25-2007 06:45 PM

I have a 160 in mine and noticed like 5 miles less to the tank... Made more power, too... I'd say get the 160 and toss it in there... You will love the results... And it WILL kill your grass!!!

smoke20 08-26-2007 08:56 AM

Then you won't have to worry about cutting the grass, and will have more time for mods.

jaxspellinar 08-26-2007 03:58 PM

Most vehicle thermostats are a made by expanding metal opening a valve to let colder radiator water into the engine. So, a 180 degree thermostat essentially just opens and closes a little at a time to balance the internal engine temp to 180 degrees. I don't know about newer vehicles or not but the only way you could have a selectable thermostat would be to put a thermometer, computer (or mechanical switch), and a actuating valve.

Much simpler are metal expansion valves :)

smoke20 08-26-2007 04:54 PM

Or, hook up to tubes with different thermostats in them, and havetwoselectable switches as to which tube is used.

jaxspellinar 08-26-2007 08:56 PM

It's like a 2" hose, isn't it? You'd need like a steam valve to do the switching. Still, on the older engines, it's two bolts. For the cost of about an hour of work and two little gaskets every six months, it wouldn't be hard to do it manually. (Not sure about new engines)

popo 08-27-2007 01:49 AM

I did notice a drop in mpg's when i put in the 180 but i like the power more.

blacksilverado 08-27-2007 03:40 AM

Hey popo, how many mpg do you think you lost? I'm going for more mpg but at the same time i would rather have the power.
I tried to put in the 180 deg. hypertech powerstat but the guys at detriot speed sold me an ls1 setup that, as i found out does not even fit into the waterpump inlet. I'm thinking it was for the 03' and older as mine isan 04'. Does anyone know of this change?
Ryan

popo 08-27-2007 08:40 AM

I have noticed that most of the parts I look up seem to stop at 2003 (example:1995-2003) so it probably is different. As far as MPG's go i think i may have lost 1 or 2. I avg 17-18 mpg not too bad considering I don't really baby the throttle. I don't think that I will change back until gas breaks the $4 mark. I say go for it and save the stock one if you don't like it. If you're carefull you should only lose about 2 cups of coolant during the install.

jcbst12 08-27-2007 10:04 AM

I got freakin hills to worry about or else I'd go for it. I drove my truck to Florida and back this past year. I got twice the gas milage down South compared to PA, VW, VA areas. I never realized how much PA hilly terrain killed my mph until then. I mean I used 1 tank from Pittsburgh PA to VA state line, then one more form VA to the South Carolina state line. I only used 1 tank of gas from South Carolina to St. Petersburgh Florida. I'm trying to focus on fuel saving mods after that trip.