Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thrush vs. flowmaster mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Default Thrush vs. flowmaster mufflers

I am looking at putting a different muffler on my truck and the local dealer sells and installs thrush. I know everyone on here prefers the flowmaster, what is the difference. The thrush is also much cheaper than the flowmaster I was wondering if one is stainless and the other isn't? I live in Wisconsin so it will see a lot of road salt how long can I expect the flowmaster to last?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Thrush vs. flowmaster mufflers

I like my Flowmaster a lot but I got under the truck the other day just doin the routine check for leaks and all of the welds on my Flowmaster are rusted. I've not even had it for a whole year yet. Granted I live 25 miles from the beach and quite often on occasion venture to the beach but still. Not sure if it's just light surface rust or what but I know that Flowmaster also offers a heavy duty "offroad" style muffler that is supposed to be really good so if you think your interested, I'd check that one out. In the pictures it's kinda flat black with a diamond plate texture to it.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM

It happens to matter what. The welds will hold. They are much thicker than the steel. Every aftermarket exhaust I have seen so far has had rustly welds except for stainless. Just as long as the rust isn't heavy and chipping off like crazy I wouldn't worry.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

I have a 2007 GMC sierra Classic 1500, Ext cab, 5.3L flexfule,4L65E transmission, Toneau cover on the bed, 17" wheels.

I have added the following:

Magnaflow Catback system that is clamped together not welded. It is made of Stainless s steel which has discolored but not rusted.
GM Performance Cold Air intake.
MGS Performance Tune computer.

The gas milage is running around 25mpg at 65MPG. I ran at 80MPH in Montana and got 20MPG.

The pros of this configuration are:
Much better gas mileage. If I could drive 55 I could get 28MPG.
More power, more torque for towing. I do not slow down pulling my 20' Airstream up Parleys canyon now.which is a 41 degree grade.

The Cons:
The Magnaflow catback system is loud in the cab.
So much power I have to punch it and can't lay off the accelerator.

gvtlinux

Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Kinda off topic but anyone have any experience with pacesetter cat-back systems? (I heard their headers are not the best, but what about the systems?)

Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 PM

I disagree Pacesetter headers are damn good headers and very fair priced. as far as there cat backs I haven't heard any thing bad but like anything else you get what you pay for (with exception of ebay and allot of brake+muffler shops). There is better and there's worse but I think they make a good product.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM

i just had 2 thrush turbos put on my 99' with the 5.7vortec. i had the place put the mufflers on and run true duals out the back for $216. the truck soundsnothing shortofbadass.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 PM

I wasn't saying they were bad, I ve just heard that. I ask cause I ordered a tfx cat-back system for my 04' 4.8L and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that system. $324 shipped to Canada from jegs.com. I'll post my thoughts when it gets here. I have a jegs TBS on right now, as well as a airaid cone filter with adapter to fit the stock air tube. I did hear a truck with a borla system that sounded unique though. Almost corvette-ish with the mellow rumble.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Posted by yortaurge - flowmasterthe 40's are loud as hell
I have always used a flowmaster muffler on my vehicles, they have served me well.