Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thump in drive line

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 AM
Default thump in drive line

Hello, I hope you guys can help me with this I have been going back and forth with the dealer. there is a thump somewhere maybe in the rear end. It happens when I brake heavy never taking my foot off the brake coming to a complete stop. Now when stopped I take my foot off the brake there is the thump. Both front and rear U-joints were replace but did not help.
I would appreciate you input.

02 silverado 1500 auto

Old 11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Default RE: thump in drive line

I really hate to say this, but there are TSBs out on the driveshafts, 99-02 on all Silverado 1500s w/auto. I know this as GM replaced mine After Warranty because it snapped and trashed my rear end, which they also replaced. Your dlrshp knows this man. Hell, mine made me pay $70 4 times to lube yoke which is BS at best since it does nothing. There is a gap between the yoke and your tranny, way over tolerance. There have been some 150,000 cases so far----------BELOW ARE THE TSBs AND CARS AFFECTED BUY THE SAME THING YOU WENT THROUGH. GET GM COMPLAINT ON THE PHONE ASAP AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THE BS STOPPED AND YOUR SHAFT REPLACED - THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF IT EVEN IF YOUR DLRSHP WON'T. THEY WILL SEND YOU ELSEWHERE. You should never ever have to pay for this.
TSB Report Dates Reflect When GM Agrees There Is A Problem, Not Year of Truck and MOST CERTAINLY NOT when they Fixed the Problem!@!
Hope this helps - Greek -> >>>>>>>.SEE ALL TSBs BELOW.
1.) TSB #990730010 -- DRIVELINE VIBRATION / GROWL NOISE. *TT (NHTSA ID #606084, JUNE 01 1999)
2.) TSB #990730010A -- A DRIVELINE VIBRATION / GROWL NOISE. *TT (NHTSA ID #607320, JUNE 01 1999)
3.) TSB #865022 -- COMMENTS OF A CLUNK OR A THUMP NOICE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED. (NHTSA ID #602980, OCTOBER 01 2001)
3.) TSB #01-04-17-004B - (Jan 5, 2005)
Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop;
(Replace Rear Drive Shaft)--------------------------------->>>>>>>>>
Years Affected are as follows ------------------------------>>>>>>>>>
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade (Old Style)
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1996-1999 Chevrolet 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickup (Old Style)
1996-1999 Chevrolet 1500 Series Regular Cab Pickup and Utility Models (Old Style)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Box (New Style)
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Regular Cab (New Style)
2000-2004 Chevrolet 1500 Series Avalanche, Suburban and Tahoe
2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series Regular Cab with Long Bed or Extended Cab (New Style)
2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Series Crew Cab, Short Box (New Style)
1996-1999 GMC 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickup (Old Style)
1996-1999 GMC 1500 Series Regular Cab Pickup and Utility Models (Old Style)
1999-2002 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Short Box (New Style)
1999-2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Regular Cab (New Style)
2000-2004 GMC 1500 Series Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2004 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series Regular Cab with Long Bed or Extended Cab (New Style)
2001-2004 GMC Sierra 2500 Series Crew Cab, Short Box (New Style)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Four Wheel Drive (4WD) or All Wheel Drive (AWD) and One-Piece Propeller Shaft ONLY
This bulletin is being revised to add Cadillac Escalade (Old Style) and HUMMER H2 to the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004A (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).
Condition; Some customers may comment on a clunk, bump or squawk noise when the vehicle comes to a stop or when accelerating from a complete stop.
Cause; A slip/stick condition between the tranmission case input shaft and the driveshaft slip yoke may cause this condition.
Diagnostic Tips; There are several resources in the electronic Service Information System which can provide the technician with information on diagnosis and repair of clunk conditions, and fix the customer's vehicle right the first time without unnecessary parts replacement. Some of the documents available in SI include:
• Symptoms - Propeller Shaft (SI Document ID #697266)
• Knock or Clunk Noise (SI Document ID #697290)
• Rear Drive Axle Noises (SI Document ID #700580)
• Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and Install a New Pinion Flange/Seal), Bulletin #02-

Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 AM

I have the same noise, and from what I was told by the dealership it is a "known issue that they are working on". Like that helps at all. They stated that it was from the slack in the driveline. I think it is the front drive shaft slightly engaging. It sounds to me like the drive shaft is spiining most of the time anyway. I know on my old jeep the front driveshaft always spins even when not engaged, just at a slower pace.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:06 AM

is this for 2wd ? I don't hear any noise. but after hard braking, when I start up again I do feel a delay and then I feel the truck take off. Same thing?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:31 AM

The list above includes you truck,, read it again..
GL
Greek

Old 11-23-2006, 10:23 PM

I have a 98 2500 2wd that has this problem. I bought the truck used. Since this isn't a recall am I stuck with the repair bill?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 PM

Thanks so much this Makoltd, this is what I have been looking for.

I called the Gm number but that was a waste of time all they do Is talk to the dealer wtf I can do that. Although I have not been there to the dealer in over a year so maybe they know something now.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Sorry but what is a TSB? Is it a recall?

Old 11-28-2006, 02:08 PM

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin. To my knowledge there is no "Recall" on your complaint.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 AM

I am going to play the *******, NO EXCUSE ME, THE Glorified Parts Bin Filler who refers to himself as (The Sound of Thunder Rings) a Product Service Engineering Hero. WTF MAN IS YOUR MALFUNTION; I MEAN WTF IS YOUR MALFUNCTION???? YOU SEE THE TSBs ABOVE THAT CAME OFF "CONSUMER REPORTS," AND YOU SAY THE MOST AROGANT THING ->To my knowledge there is no "Recall" on your complaint.<- I have tolerated each and every time you have slapped your " 33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering, BTW, A.S.E. Certified," **** in these guys faces. WAKE THE F$%K UP MAN. I just don't get it. Your one F&*#$ked up ex-GM Flunky. I provide Links; you provide some absurd comment followed by "33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering, BTW, A.S.E. Certified." I spend hours trying to answer these guy questions and you; simply talk out of your ***. I have to believe that each and every guy here has had a LYING SERVICE MANAGER who cares solely about commission, tell each one of these guys to their faces ----------------------------------- > I have no idea why your --> (1) BRAKES FADE AND SHUDDER (2) YOU FEEL A CLUNK IN YOUR STEARING WHEEL (3) YOUR FEEL A CLUNK IN YOUR DRIVELINE (4) YOUR HEADS FAILED AT 45K (5) YOUR WATER PUMP FAILED AT 40K (6) THE SLUDGE IN THE RADIATOR IS YOUR FAULT (7) THERE HAVE BEEN MORE THAN 15,000 OTHER TSBs JUST SINCE 1997.
You faux upper management have been screwing us since GM started taking a loss on the GOD DAMN Z28 in 1976, after your faux Engineers looking out for the bottom $$, started making EVERYTHING OUT OF PLASTIC. I know and you know, you will NEVER ADMIT GM is at fault for anything, your a loyal "YES MAN!@! and we cannot TRUST YOU. F%^k. I HATE YOU ARROGANT mfR'S FOR trying to charge me for every GOD DAMN piece of **** mistake you and your SELF TOUTED "WIGS," made. Then you try and act like some "VOICE FROM ABOVE," but you can't without adding 33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering." Tell me ace, Who the HELLS Idea was it to put the GOD DAMN "Side Exposed Gas Tank," in the 1969-1971 C-10/30??? I know who; the HEROS IN Engineering WHOM AFTER 44 CONFIRMED DEATHS STILL DENIED THAT THERE WERE ANY PROBLEMS. Guess those MULTI-MILLION $ PAYOUTS TO THE POOR DEAD LIED TO TRUSTING SOLES, WHO EVEN THOUGH THEY SMELLED GAS IN THE CAB, BELIEVED THOSE "CROSS AROUND THE NECK," Lying Service Managers and Warranty District Supervisors. GMs MOTO TO ALL MAMAGERS WHEN IT COMES TO A KNOWN ISSUE IS "Deny until they finally go away," one way or another. I tell you, you arrogant SOB, the very problem this guy has was FIXED BY GM after warranty - DRIVESHAFT - REAR END - PARKING BRAKE - ABS FAILURE - SHUDDER WHEN STARTING HARD OR BRAKING HARD. Then, they GAVE ME  GAVE ME - an extended warranty to 100k. I guess I forgot to mention. EVERY PROBLEM I JUST LISTED ABOVE, Numbers “1-6,” INCLUDING THE 5 MORE AFTER, HAPPENED JUST AFTER MY WARRANTY RAN OUT AT 36K. THE GOD DAMN HEADS WENT OUT AT 44K. EVERY TSB I PUT UP IS THERE FOR A REASON AND ONE ONLY. SO EVERY POOR SOB WHO THROWS THEIR HANDS UP AFTER TRYING 4Xs+ TO GET A GOD DAMN STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM THEIR DEALERSHIP KNOWS; GM LIES TO US FOR PROFIT. YOU ARE EITHER BRAIN WASHED OR JUST ONE ARROGANT MF.
To the guy/guys with issues that fall under this post, you can and will be able to get GM to fix your problem. Just sadly, you can't count on your Service Manager or District Warranty Rep to be the ones to do so. You will have to file with GMs complaint line. HOW FUBAR IS THAT.
You are one Arrogant bastard. Pftttt. STOP LYING [/u] _!_
MY APOLOGIZES TO THE HUB FOR MY ANGER and Language...
ARGHhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Greek

Quick Reply: thump in drive line